Skip to main content



The number of academic credits assigned to a course is based on the amount of work required in the course. Courses carry from 0 to 12 credits, but most offer 4 credits. Once credit has been earned in a course, that course may not be repeated for credit unless specifically designated.

See Definition of a Credit Hour for a complete explanation.

Parameters for Earning Credits

In accordance with accreditor and regulatory guidelines, students must start and complete all coursework within the published start and end dates of the term of enrollment as defined on the college Academic Calendar. Students may not extend coursework beyond the term, except under the explicit guidelines outlined in the Incomplete Grade Policy. In addition, the college is not permitted to truncate the required enrollment period for any student, so all students are required to participate in their registered coursework from day 1 of the term through their exam week obligations. Students must enroll for coursework during the term the work is started and completed. This includes all credit-bearing and non-credit bearing, graded and ungraded, senior inquiry, internships, service learning, study away and all modalities and instructional delivery methods. Credit will not be earned if they fall outside of these parameters. See also Registration and Attendance.

Mode of Instruction

Augustana understands that the foundation of our exceptional curriculum is rooted in the relationships developed in the classroom through meaningful dialog between students and faculty. Therefore, in accordance with our accreditation status, Augustana offers no online programs. All courses taught during the academic year are assigned a physical classroom and are taught in a face-to-face modality. However, Augustana students are expected to have regular access to technology and the internet in order to be successful. All Augustana courses will make use of Moodle, our online learning management system. Some courses may only use Moodle to post the syllabus, assignments and grades, while other courses may use it more broadly to engage students with supplemental reading, videos and/or discussion groups. Students should contact the faculty member to learn exactly how online resources and modalities will be used in the class. Starting in the summer 2015, Augustana began offering a few summer-only online courses. These offerings have increased each year, but continue to only be offered in summer session. These courses use Moodle and other course-specific technologies to deliver the course content. NOTE! In March of 2020, Augustana was granted a temporary exception by the Department of Education and the Higher Learning Commission to offer courses online as a response to the Covid-19 global pandemic. In spring 2020, the second half of the semester (7 weeks) was taught 100% online for all courses. During the 2020-21 academic year approximately 7% of our courses were offered in an online modality and some students elected to be a remote learner for one or two semesters. Augustana cannot validate which courses or students were taught in a remote modality. Please contact the individual student or instructors for this information if it is needed. 


A full-time student carries 12 or more credits per semester. Audit hours do not count toward full-time status, but are included among tuition charges. A part-time student carries fewer than 12 credits per semester.

The following classifications apply to students working toward a degree either full-time or part-time:

  • A sophomore has 29 credits
  • A junior has 61 credits
  • A senior has 91 credits

Students not working toward a degree, such as post-baccalaureate students, are classified as special students.

Registration Course Load and Tuition Overload Policies

(Credit Reuse Policy)

Full-time tuition for the academic year covers enrollment in 34 credits (includes credits for two semesters and one January-term.) In order to be considered full-time, students must register for a minimum of 12 credits in a semester. Coursework in J-term does not count toward Fall full-time enrollment status. Students may register for a maximum of one J-term experience per J-term. J-term courses are typically 4 credits, but some study-away experiences may vary.

Students who register full-time (minimum of 12 credits) during the fall semester may register for one J-term course with no additional tuition (additional program or travel fees may apply.) Those credits in J-term are included in the 34 maximum for the year. Full-time tuition for only one semester in an academic year covers enrollment in up to 17 credits of instruction. Students who enroll in only fall and J-term have a maximum of 17 credits across that period. Overload fees will be charged for students who exceed these limits. Students may not register only for J-term. Students must use their annual allotment of credits within the single academic year for which they are paid. 

The overload credit reuse deadlines are published on the Academic Calendar for all 14-week and 7-week courses. J-term courses that remain on the schedule after the Add/Drop deadline will apply toward overload. Students who withdraw from coursework by this deadline may reuse those credits at a later time during the same academic year. Students who withdraw from a course after the overload credit reuse deadline has passed, have used the college resources to the point that they will not be able to reuse those credits. FYI-100 and MULS do not count in overload.

Tuition is charged on a per-credit basis for enrollment in fewer than 12 credits in any one semester or in more credits than the maximum covered by full-time tuition. Overload fees will be assessed and charged to the student bill during the spring semester. Some zero and .25 credit internships may be exempt from overload fees. See Internship policy for more information. 

Students should consult the overload/per credit fee on the Schedule of Student Charges and consult the Business Office about payment plans. Students who wish to appeal the overload fees may complete the appeal form on the Office of the Registrar forms web page. Augustana has carefully planned the degree with a single major can be completed in four years (eight semesters) if students stay on track and plan accordingly. Appeals of institutional fees from third parties (instructors, advisors, parents, etc.) will not be considered. 

Students are limited to 18 credits per semester. Students who wish to enroll in more than 18 credits in a semester should consult the Registration Surplus policy

Normal progress toward a degree

Students are making normal progress toward the Bachelor of Arts degree if they earn at least 29 credits after two semesters, 61 after four semesters, 91 after six semesters, and 124 after 8 semesters of enrollment.

To maintain normal progress toward the degree, students must file a Declaration of Major form after earning 61 credits. These forms are available on the Office of the Registrar forms page. Students who fail to meet this requirement will be restricted from registration at the point when they have earned 61 credits but have not declared a program of study.