Campus parking rules and regulations
The campus parking rules and regulations are applicable to all motor-driven vehicles: automobiles, trucks, motorcycles, and mopeds. Parking rules and regulations are effective 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and 365 days a year, including student holidays. Violators are subject to ticketing at the vehicle owner's expense.
All Augustana College students, faculty, and staff who park a motor vehicle on campus must register the vehicle, whether or not they obtain a parking permit.
Augustana College reserves the right to restrict parking access in certain lots during college functions or to facilitate operations. Whenever possible, permit holders will be notified in advance when such occasions occur.
- General parking rules
- City of Rock Island parking ordinance
- Handicap parking
- Inoperable or stalled vehicles
- Parking permits
- Parking tickets and booting
- Regulation changes
- Towing policy
I. General parking rules
- All Augustana College students, faculty, staff, and visitors must register their vehicles properly and display a permit in the proper location. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to report any changes in vehicle plate information promptly.
- All Augustana parking lots require an Augustana parking permit at all times. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to properly display the permit. Vehicles with an incorrectly displayed or missing permit may be ticketed.
- All residential parking lots, driveways, or designated parking areas are enforced 24 hours a day, seven (7) days a week.
- All faculty/staff lots are enforced from 7 a.m.- 5 p.m. Monday - Friday. Students are prohibited from parking in any faculty/staff lot during the specified hours. There are four exceptions:
- Lot A1 (by Seminary Hall) is for Admissions visitors at all times.
- The area of Lot K designated for patrons of PepsiCo is limited to hours when PepsiCo is open. Overnight parking is prohibited.
- Lot I (Brodhal) is for Brodahl faculty, staff, and visitors at all times.
- Lot Q (by the Dance Studio) has clearly posted reserved parking on the east side spaces. The west side of lot Q is designated for patrons of PepsiCo and is limited to parking only during PepsiCo’s operational hours; overnight parking is prohibited.
- Parking spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis to anyone with the appropriate permit for the lot. It remains the responsibility of the permit holder to find a legal parking space.
- There are no reserved parking spots for general parking.
- Parking is prohibited in campus fire lanes at all times. There is no "grace" period. Violators will be ticketed and face the possibility of having the vehicle towed at the owners expense.
- Blocking or obstructing traffic in parking areas, service drives, or loading docks is prohibited.
- The speed limit on all campus property is 15 mph.
- Motorists must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians while driving on campus property.
- All general rules are enforced 24 hours a day, seven (7) days a week, 365 days a year, including student holidays.
- Loading docks and service areas may be used only while materials are actively being loaded or unloaded. Unattended vehicles parking in loading docks and service areas will be ticketed.
- Faculty, staff, and students are restricted from parking in any space designated as being reserved for special purposes.
- Registered students, faculty, and staff members are not allowed to utilize designated visitor parking areas.
- Driving and/or parking on sidewalks or grass is not allowed at any time.
- All motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds with license plates require an Augustana parking permit and must be parked in a designated parking space in a parking lot.
- Motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds with license plates are prohibited from using bike racks.
- Motorized vehicles, such as mopeds and scooters, may not be used on sidewalks at any time.
- Vehicles used by visitors, relatives, and vendors of Augustana College are subject to the rules and regulations stated within the Parking Rules and Regulations.
II. City of Rock Island parking ordinance
A city ordinance requires cars parked on streets to be moved within 72 hours. If not moved within the 72-hour period, cars may be ticketed or towed by the city. A fee established by the city's towing service must be paid in full to obtain the vehicle’s release. This fee increases daily. Faculty, staff, and students with active parking permits should park in college owned parking lots whenever non-restricted spaces are available.
The Augustana College Office of Police and Public Safety is authorized to issue City of Rock Island parking tickets in the area from 5th Avenue to 14th Avenue and 30th Street to 40th Street. This includes campus parking lots. The Office of Police and Public Safety may issue city parking tickets for fire lanes, city ordinance lots, handicapped parking violations, and posted no-parking violations, on campus. All city of Rock Island parking ticket(s) are payable by following the instructions provided on the ticket.
III. Handicap parking
Several locations on campus have been designated as available for handicapped parking. These parking spaces are clearly marked and are strictly reserved for individuals displaying valid state-issued handicapped permits or vehicle plates. Violators will be ticketed. It is the responsibility of the vehicle owner to abide by all state regulations regarding the use of state-issued permits.
IV. Inoperable or stalled vehicles
Vehicles that are parked in violation of college regulations and cannot be moved because of mechanical difficulties must be reported by the owner and logged by the Office of Police and Public Safety. Arrangements to have the stalled vehicle moved must be made within 48 hours.
V. Parking Permits
Parking permits are required for all Augustana College parking lots or spaces. Permits must be displayed at all times by faculty, staff, students, visitors, and vendors.
- All parking permits remain the property of Augustana College and may not be given, loaned, or sold to other parties
- Parking permits are non-transferable. If you have to change vehicles permanently, please remove the parking permit and bring it with you to exchange for a new permit.
- Parking permits do not include or imply security protection. Augustana College assumes no responsibility for theft or damage to vehicles or their contents. Vehicles should be locked at all times.
- Parking permits allow individuals access to parking lots but do not guarantee that a parking space will always be available.
- Individuals with vehicles bearing temporary plates will be issued a temporary permit until permanent plates are obtained. It is the vehicle owner's responsibility to provide Augustana with the updated plate information.
Faculty and staff parking permits
All faculty and Staff are required to have a parking permit on their vehicle to park on campus. Parking permits can be obtained by going to the Office of Police and Public Safety located in the basement of Sorensen Hall. Please visit the campus map to locate faculty and staff parking lots.
- Faculty/staff parking permits are free of charge for all employees of the college.
- Employees may have more than one vehicle registered with a parking permit.
- Any vehicle displaying a faculty/staff parking permit is prohibited from parking in any residential parking lots or areas.
- Replacement permits can be issued if necessary. The originally issued permit should be brought to the Police and Public Safety office at the time a replacement permit is requested.
Student parking permits
Student parking permits can be purchased in the Facilities Services office located in the basement of Sorensen Hall Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Please visit the Student Parking Information page for information about purchasing a parking permit.
Augustana offers the following permit purchase options:
|Full academic year permit||$220.00|
|Semester permit only (does not include J-Term)||$120.00|
|Partial term||Inquire at the Facilities office|
Replacement permits can be issued if necessary. The originally issued permit must be brought to the Facilities Services Office at the time a replacement permit is requested.
The forging of or being in possession of a lost or stolen permit is prohibited. Anyone found in possession of a lost, stolen, or forged permit will be referred to the Dean of Students for consideration of judicial action. Lost or stolen permits must be reported to the Facilities Services office immediately. The full price may be charged for lost or stolen permits.
Visitor and guest parking permits
All visitors and guests are required to have a visitor/guest parking permit on their vehicle to park on Augustana College property. Visitor/guest permits can be obtained by going to the Office of Police and Public Safety located in the basement of Sorensen Hall. Employees and students are not considered visitors and may not display a visitor permit.
- Visitors to the general campus may obtain a visitor parking pass from the Office of Police and Public Safety.
- Students can request a free visitor/guest permit for 1-3 days at a time. Students must have the visitor's name, telephone number, and vehicle information (make, model, color, and license plate number). Visitor/guest parking is assigned based on lot availability and will be granted parking privileges in the closest parking area to the students’ on-campus residence. Visitor/Guest permits are assigned to the account of the student they are visiting, and any parking tickets incurred by the visitor/guest will be assigned to the student’s account.
Temporary parking permits
Temporary parking permits are issued to eligible faculty, staff, and students. Temporary permits are issued for current permit holders who are temporarily using a different vehicle than the one that is registered to their permit or for temporary medical accommodations. Any other request will require the approval of the Chief of Police and Public Safety. You can request a temporary permit by going to the Office of Police and Public Safety in the basement of Sorensen Hall. You will need to have the vehicle’s information (make, model, color, and license plate number) in order to obtain a temporary permit.
Parking permit and lot classification:
- A1 Lot: A1 is the Admissions Visitors Only Lot.
- B Lot: B is the main parking lot for Seminary Hall residents.
- C Lot: C is the overflow lot for 11th Ave Flats, Andreen, Parkander, Seminary, and Swanson Commons residents. Lot C is located on the corner of 7th Avenue and 38th Street.
- D Lot: D is the Sorensen Hall parking lot for faculty and staff.
- E Lot: E is the main lot for commuter students, faculty, and staff.
- F Lot: F is the main parking lot for Parkander residents.
- G Lot: G is located on the Northside of Carver P.E. and is for any active parking permit.
- H Lot: H is a faculty and staff-only lot located near Hanson Science.
- I Lot: I is for faculty, staff, and visitors of Brodahl Hall only. Enforced 24 hours a day.
- J Lot: J Lot has two parts:
- The first row on the east side of the lot is for Andy/Bart residents only.
- The remaining rows are for faculty and staff only parking.
- K Lot: K is the main parking lot for Westerlin Hall residents.
- L Lot: L is the main parking lot for Erickson and Naeseth residents.
- M Lot: M is the main parking lot for Arbaugh residents.
- N Lots: N1, N2, and N3 are the parking lots for Swanson Commons and 11th Avenue Flats residents.
- O Lot: O is the main parking lot for Andreen Hall residents.
- P Lot: P is located on 6th Avenue and 35th Street and is for any active parking permit.
- Q Lot: Q is located between Lot K and the Dance Studio.
- The east side of lot Q has all reserved parking spaces.
- The west side of lot Q is designated for patrons of PepsiCo and is limited to hours when PepsiCo is open; and overnight parking is prohibited.
- R Lot: R Lot is the Erickson Hall, Naeseth, and Westerlin Hall overflow lot located to the south of Thorson-Lucken Field.
- S Lot: S Lot is the Erickson Hall, Naeseth, and Westerlin Hall overflow lot located on the west side of 30th Street next to Ostara House.
- U Lot: U is located behind Carlsson Evald and is for faculty and staff only.
- A TLA parking permit allows students to park in the lot/area assigned to the permit based on housing assignment/availability, and lots G, P.
- Vehicles bearing term or partial-term permits may park at the area designated on the permit or in lots G and P.
$220: Full academic year permit (includes J term)
- Full refund within 31 days of the first day of classes
- $100 refund for the remainder of the fall semester
- $50 refund for the first two weeks of the spring semester
- No refund after the second week of the spring semester
$120: Single semester permit (does not include J-Term)
- Full refund within 20 days of the first day of classes
- No refund thereafter
$40: J-Term only
- There is no refund after the date of purchase
Partial semester permit (inquire at the Facilities office for price)
- There is no refund after the date of purchase
VI. Parking tickets and booting
The Parking Rules and Regulations on Augustana College property are enforced 24 hours a day, seven (7) days a week, 365 days a year, including student holidays.
Parking tickets will be issued to any vehicles found violating the parking rules and regulations. Issued tickets provide information pertaining to payment. Failure to find a ticket on a vehicle does not invalidate the fine.
Augustana College uses a parking boot, which is a wheel clamp device that is placed on the front tire of a vehicle to prevent it from being moved.
- Unregistered vehicle(s) that are located on campus property may be booted if the vehicle has incurred one of the following:
- Two (2) or more unpaid Augustana College issued parking violations
- Parking fines totaling $75.00
- Habitual offenders who have accrued a total of six (6) Augustana College issued parking violations during any academic year will have their vehicle booted. The fee for the removal of the boot is $100 plus any remaining balance from unpaid parking tickets.
To obtain a release of the vehicle, the owner must go to the Facilities Services Office and pay all current and accumulated fines, including a $50 per day booting fee, to obtain a release of the vehicle.
Excessive parking tickets
Vehicle owners who receive multiple Augustana College issued parking tickets during any current academic year will be notified via email of the potential consequences of receiving further parking tickets prior to reaching the six (6) ticket limit whenever possible. Vehicle owners who exceed the six (6) parking ticket limit may be booted. There will be a $100 fee for removal of the boot and the owner must pay all open tickets.
Parking fines can be paid at the Facilities Services office in the basement of Sorensen Hall Monday - Friday from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm. Any parking tickets that are not paid within 15 days of issuance will be applied to the students' accounts. Select Augustana College parking tickets paid within five days of the issue date of the parking ticket may receive a $5 discount upon payment.
* indicates which violations may be eligible for a $5 discount if paid within 5 business days from the issuance date.
|Blocking a sidewalk, driveway or loading zone||$25.00*|
|Boot for excessive tickets||$100.00|
|Boot for an unknown vehicle||$50.00|
|Driving or parking on grass||$25.00*|
|Driving or parking on sidewalk||$25.00*|
|Fire lane||$25.00 City of Rock Island ticket|
|No parking permit||$50.00*|
|Parked in a handicap space||$350.00 City of Rock Island ticket|
|Permit not properly displayed||$25.00*|
|Reserved space or lot (including but not limited to: Admissions visitor lot, athletic recruit space, CORE/Edge spaces, Facilities Services, Residential Life staff, campus visitor spaces.||$50.00|
All appeals for Augustana College issued tickets must be submitted using the Parking Ticket Appeal Form and must be submitted within 15 calendar days from the issue date of the parking ticket(s). Appeals are only granted when there is substantial reason to dispute or if there is extenuating circumstances. Not agreeing with the campus Parking Rules and Regulations is not grounds for an appeal.
Appeals are reviewed weekly, and requesters are informed by email of the results of the appeal. All decisions are final.
Appeals will not be considered for the following reasons:
- Lack of knowledge or abuse of the Parking Rules and Regulations
- Parking illegally for a short time
- Not ticketed previously for same offense
- Unread, unseen, or misunderstood signage
- Being told by someone other than Police and Public Safety or the Facilities Services offices where you can park
- Being late for class, work, or appointments
- Inconvenience of assigned parking
- Tickets issued for a boot
Registration or the purchase of a parking permit is required for all vehicles parked on Augustana College property. Faculty, staff, students, and visitors/guests must have a valid parking permit on their vehicle while parking on Augustana College property. See the Parking ticket and booting section for more information.
VIII. Regulation changes
The Office of Police and Public Safety reserves the right to alter parking procedures in order to make improvements and carry out the responsibilities of maintaining order. Faculty, staff, and students will be informed by public notice of any changes in regulations and will be responsible for complying with new rules or procedures when implemented.
VIIII. Towing Policy
Vehicles illegally parked in a city ordinance lot or pose a safety risk may be towed at the owner’s expense by Q.C. Towing.