2018-2019 Returning Student, Applying for Financial Aid
Follow the steps below to apply for financial aid. After we have received your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) results, and other requested documents, your file will be reviewed and data will be verified.
Augustana will prepare a financial aid decision for you that may include scholarships, grants, loans and/or work-study. We will notify you via email when your award decision is available on Arches. We will begin awarding aid to current students after June 1.
1. Complete the 2018-2019 FAFSA; preferential due date: Nov. 1
• The 2018-2019 FAFSA is available after Oct. 1, 2017.
• If you and/or your parents do not already have an FSA ID, see fsaid.ed.gov to create one.
• Complete the 2018-2019 FAFSA.
• Augustana’s federal school code is 001633.
• If eligible, use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to complete the FAFSA.
• If your 2016 taxes are not complete by Oct. 1, file the FAFSA with estimated tax information.
2. Complete the Returning Student Financial Aid Information Form, Nov. 1
• Mailed in October to all current students
• Online form available after Oct. 1. Required for all students regardless of the type of aid pursued.
3. Tell us about any special circumstances
We realize circumstances may change at any time. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 309-794-7207 if your family experiences changes that significantly affect your finances, such as:
- Substantial reduction in parent income since 2016 tax year
- High medical/dental expenses
- Parent in college
- Private elementary/secondary tuition
- Other special circumstances
The FAFSA must be filed for special circumstances to be considered.
4. Verification and additional documents
If you are selected for verification by the Department of Education, the Office of Financial Aid will notify you of additional required documents. These should be submitted as soon as requested.
5. Respond to your financial aid award letter within two weeks of receipt
• Accept or decline your financial aid.
• Sign, date and return your award letter to the Augustana College Office of Financial Aid, 639 38th St., Rock Island, Ill., 61201.
6. Finalize loans (if awarded) by Aug. 1
For first-time Federal Direct Loan borrowers only
If you have not previously borrowed and plan to borrow the loan noted in your award letter visit studentloans.gov to:
- Complete online entrance counseling
- Sign a master promissory note
All financial aid is awarded on an annual basis. Merit awards such as academic and talent scholarships automatically will be renewed at the same amount, provided you have met the renewal criteria outlined in the award notification material. See scholarship information for renewal criteria for academic and talent based awards.
To receive need-based financial aid, you must complete the FAFSA on a yearly basis. See grants, loans and student employment for renewal criteria for need-based awards. Need-based awards may be continued, increased or decreased from one year to another depending on changes in the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). The most common factors impacting changes in EFC are number of family members enrolled in college and/or a change in family income.
Renewal for all awards requires maintaining financial aid satisfactory academic progress.