Separated Student Policies
Graduation Requirement Substitutions for Separated Students
Students who have not completed their Augustana degree and interrupted their studies for at least two years (6 trimesters or 4 semesters, excluding summer) or more may be considered a separated student and may qualify for a substitution of some of the requirements. Qualifying students* must meet these requirements:
- not earned a bachelor's degree from Augustana or another institution
- interrupted their studies at Augustana for two or more academic years (6 trimesters or 4 semesters, excluding summer)
- students participating in a coordinated degree program with Augustana and another institution may not be considered a Separated Student.
- need up to 12 credits to complete the degree
- will have completed 60 or more credits in residence at Augustana at the completion of their degree
- will have completed the final 12 credits in residence at Augustana, unless an exception is granted
- will meet all of the degree requirements in effect at the time of re-enrollment, including general education coursework and grade point requirements for the major/minor. See the current catalog for those requirements.
- must have a minimum of a 2.000 grade point average overall and within the major
- must be preapproved as a separated student by the Registrar (form required) The following exceptions may be approved for qualifying students:
A. Other Learning Perspective (LP)/Suffix coursework or other General Education Requirements. Qualifying students may complete up to four (4) courses with a learning perspective in one of three ways:
1) successful completion of applicable Augustana learning perspective coursework;
2) petition the Committee on Advanced Standing and Degrees (AS&D) to transfer up to three (3) preapproved courses with the necessary learning perspectives to Augustana from another institution; or
3) petition AS&D for approval to complete a portion of required coursework at Augustana through private study arrangement (maximum of one 4-credit course of private study).
B. Coursework to complete the major. Students are required to meet all requirements for the major (or minor) as outlined in the catalog. Substitutions and transfer work must be approved in advance and in-writing by the department chair and must be completed within one year (12 months) of the approval.
Procedures for pre-approval as a separated student and completion of requirements
Steps for completing requirements through regularly scheduled Augustana coursework:
1) Reapply for acceptance by returning the Special Student Application and be certified, in writing, by the Registrar as a qualifying Separated Student.
2) If readmitted, the student must clear all existing financial and/or personal obligations to the college.
3) Register for coursework as instructed following admission.
4) Complete required coursework. If prior approval is granted by the faculty member, the requirements may be met in a distance arrangement (e-mail, Moodle, phone, blog, Skype, etc.)
Steps for completing requirements through up to four (4) courses, not to exceed sixteen (16) credits, of transfer work from another institution:
1) Petition AS&D for a special substitution of graduation requirements.
2) If approved, the student must reapply for acceptance to the college by returning the Special Student Application. (Individuals must be an active student in order to apply for graduation.)
3) If readmitted, the student must clear all existing financial and/or personal obligations to the college prior to graduation
4) Obtain preapproval for individual coursework, not to exceed 16 credits (4 courses), by paper petition available on line (or from the Office of the Registrar.) Students are encouraged to consult the list of courses already equated to Augustana coursework on the transfer site.
5) Complete preapproved coursework as arranged by the institution.
6) Upon completion of coursework, the student must arrange to have the official transcripts sent directly to Augustana College, Office of the Registrar. Official transcripts must be received no later than one day prior to the date of graduation for the term of intended graduation or graduation will be delayed by a minimum of one term. Students who have more than 16 credits to complete should return to Augustana to take remaining coursework.
Steps for completing requirements through private study at Augustana College:
1) Petition AS&D for a special substitution of graduation requirements.
2) If approved, the student must reapply for acceptance to the Dean of Students Office by returning the Special Student Application.
3) If readmitted, the student must clear all existing financial and/or personal obligations to the college.
4) Arrange for the private study work with the instructors in advance of the term. Instructors must send an e-mail acknowledgement to the student and copy the Registrar.
5) Pay the full tuition in advance of registration in the business office.
6) Register in the Office of the Registrar with receipt of tuition payment.
7) Complete required coursework. If prior approval is granted by the faculty member, the requirements may be met in a distance arrangement (e-mail, Moodle, phone, blog, Skype, etc.)
NOTE: Students will not be permitted to enroll in more than one private study course per term. Each private study course requires a separate petition process and prepayment.
Completion of the degree
In all cases, application to graduate must be made through Arches at least one semester prior to the semester of graduation. At this point, an audit of the degree requirements (and any exceptions) will be made by the Office of the Registrar, and the student will be notified by e-mail of any outstanding requirements. All outstanding grades from Augustana or transfer coursework must be posted to the student record one day prior to the graduation date for that term. Please visit the Academic Calendar for exact dates.
Additional Requirements and Policy information
Academic Policies. Unless noted here, qualifying students must adhere to all policies set forth in the Augustana Catalog and the Student handbook at the time of re-enrollment or at the time of intended graduation if not re-enrolling.
Credits limitations. For any combination of arrangements in A, B, and/or C above, the total number of transfer credits that may be applied in the final 24 credits toward the degree may not exceed sixteen (16) credits or four courses.
Expiration of Qualification. Qualified and approved separated individuals have one calendar year from the approval date to complete the degree requirements before the agreement expires. If the degree requirements are not met within a calendar year, the individual must reapply for approval. All new degree requirements in place at the time of re-approval must be met.
Coursework applied toward the degree may be either:
1) Augustana coursework;
2) Credits that meet the requirements for transfer coursework as defined in the college catalog; or
3) Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) or A-Level Exam scores that meet the minimum scores required. Augustana does not accept College Level Exam Program (CLEP) exams or life/work experience to be applied toward the degree.
*Non-qualifying students have two options for completing their degree:
1) Apply to return to Augustana to complete degree requirements in residence as defined by the current catalog, or
2) Pursue graduation requirements for degree completion at another institution.
updated on 3-11-20
Senate approved 5-1-14