Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology requirements
There are three time periods when students can apply to the Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology program:
1) As a college senior pursuing a bachelor’s degree or an applicant who has already completed a bachelor’s degree (regular admission)
2) As an Augustana College junior CSD major (junior-year admission)
3) As an Augustana College prospective first-year student (direct admission)
The processes and requirements for the three types of applications follow.
Bachelor’s degree-holding individuals may apply for Augustana College’s MS-SLP program using the Centralized Application Service for Communication Sciences and Disorders Program (CSDCAS).
Enrolled into graduate program upon acceptance
Minimum combined verbal and quantitative GRE score of 300. (Note that the GRE requirement is waived for students who would begin the program for the 2022-23 academic year.)
Minimum overall college undergraduate GPA of 3.0
Minimum CSD GPA of 3.4
No grades below a B- in CSD and CSD-supporting courses listed below
Completion of CSD, or equivalent, courses:
- Introduction to CSD
- Anatomy, Physiology, and Science of Speech
- Anatomy, Physiology, and Science of Hearing
- Speech and Language Development
- Neural Bases of Human Communication
Aural rehabilitation and research methods are highly recommended.
Completion of CSD-supporting courses, or equivalent:
- Biology (human or animal focused)
- Human Development
- Physics or Chemistry
Letters of recommendation submitted through CSDCAS
Meet all items on Augustana's Essential Functions checklist completed prior to enrollment.
Submit CSD essay through CSDCAS that addresses the following questions: Why are you interested in Augustana’s MS-SLP Program? What experiences have prepared you for graduate study? What are your professional goals and interests in becoming a speech-language pathologist?
This option is for Augustana CSD juniors, who, if admitted, enrolled into the Master of Science in Speech-Language Pathology program after earning B.A. at Augustana.
Apply through Augustana's Application System (managed by the Office of Admissions)
Minimum overall college GPA of 3.0
Minimum CSD GPA of 3.4
No grades below a B- in CSD and CSD-supporting courses
Meet all items on the Essential Functions checklist
Submit 400-word essay: How is your Augustana education preparing you for a vocation in speech-language pathology?
Complete an interview with CSD faculty
To maintain junior admission, students must achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and a CSD major GPA of 3.4 or higher and receive grades of B- or higher in CSD and CSD-supporting courses.
This option is for high school seniors who are interested in securing a spot in in Augustana’s MS-SLP program after they earn a B.A degree at Augustana.
Students must first be accepted into Augustana College.
Students inform Augustana's Office of Admissions that they would like to be considered as a direct admit student into the Master's in Speech-Language Pathology program if they meet the following criteria:
- Minimum overall high school GPA of 3.4
- No grade below a B- in any science class
- Meet all items on the Essential Functions checklist
- Submit a 400-word CSD essay: How would a liberal arts undergraduate education prepare you for a career as a speech-language pathologist?
- Interview with CSD faculty
To maintain direct admission status, students must throughout their undergraduate program at Augustana achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0, a minimum CSD major GPA of 3.4, and receive grades of B- or higher in CSD and CSD-supporting courses.