Gustaf Unonius letter copies, 1849-1964
Gustaf Unonius letter copies
Uppsala University library
Unonius, Gustaf, 1810-1902
Esbjörn, L. P. (Lars Paul), 1808-1870
Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center, Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois.
Gustaf Unonius was the founder of the Pine Lake settlement in Wisconsin in 1842, one of the earliest Swedish settlements in the United States. Collection consists of photocopies of letters addressed to and from Gustaf Unonius from the archival collection at the Uppsala University library in Uppsala, Sweden.
RIGHTS AND ACCESS
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open for research.
Reproduction and Use:
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the Swenson Center and the copyright holder.
[item identification], in SAC P:78 Gustaf Unonius letter copies, Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center, Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois.
ACQUISITION AND RELATED MATERIALS
Source of Acquisition:
Purchased from Uppsala University Library circa 1982.
Location of Originals:
Originals at the Uppsala University Library, Uppsala Sweden. Handskriftsavdelning: Gustaf Unonius Collection 521c (uncatalogued).
Location of Copies:
Microfilm copy at Emigrant Institute in Växjö, Sweden.
Collection name changed from “Gustaf Unonius papers” in 2018.
Received by Kermit Westerberg in 1983. Processed by Swenson Center staff in 2008. Finding aid written by Lisa Huntsha in 2018.
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
Gustaf Unonius was the founder of the Pine Lake settlement in Wisconsin in 1842, one of the earliest Swedish settlements in the United States. He was later the head of the St. Ansgarius Swedish Episcopal Church in Chicago, Illinois.
Scope and Content:
Collection consists of photocopies of letters addressed to and from Gustaf Unonius and copies of minutes from a church meeting from the archival collection at the Uppsala University library in Uppsala, Sweden.
System of Arrangement:
Order prior to 2018 retained.
- Copy of inventory to Uppsala University Library collection, Swedish/English, circa 1964
- Copy of letter to J.J. Hedström from Swedish settlement in Fairfield, Jefferson County, Iowa, signed by Peter Cassel and J. Danielson, Swedish, 26 May 1849
- Copy of minutes of officers’ meeting for Presbyterian Church regarding a building for a Swedish church and the establishment of the Swedish Evangelical Society of Galesburg, Swedish, 7 July 1849 (English copy too)
- Copies of letters to Unonius from J.J. Hedström, Swedish/English, 26 August 1849; 4 February 1850
- Copies of letters to Unonius from Lars Paul Esbjörn, Swedish/English, 16 July 1852; 1 August 1853
- Copies of letters from Unonius to Lars Paul Esbjörn, Swedish, 10 August 1852; 1 September 1852
- Copies of letters to Unonius from C.M. Esbjörn, Swedish, 14 April 1896; 30 September 1896; 25 June 1897
- Copies of letters to C.M. Esbjörn from Unonius, Swedish, 13 May 1896; 30 September 1896; 28 July 1897