The Swenson Center collections consist of library and archival resources as well as a collection of Swedish-American lodge records, newspapers, and church records on microfilm. Interested in a particular subject? See our Resources by Subject page.
Language Note: Depending on your research topic, you may find materials in English or Swedish (or other languages). 40% of our collections are in both English and Swedish; 37% are entirely in English; 23% are entirely in Swedish.
The Swenson Center library contains approximately 20,000 books, periodicals, and audio/visual materials related to the Swedish-American experience in North America. The library is especially strong in Swedish-American imprints, which are books published in Swedish in the United States.
- Newspapers: A link to digitized Swedish-American newspapers and an index to our print and microfilm newspapers.
- Journals: An index to our uncataloged, defunct Swedish-American journals.
- Pamphlets: An index to our collection of over 700 pamphlets from 1850s-1940s on World War I, banking, Swedish travel guides, poetry, Sioux City, and more.
The Swenson Center's archival collections contain unpublished primary source material including manuscripts, records, photographs, and more, measuring approximately 800 linear feet.
- Finding Aids list: A list of all our collection titles and a link to their finding aid.
- PastPerfect: A searchable catalog of our collections, including descriptions of archival collections and digital images.
- Vertical Files: An index to reference files compiled by Swenson Center staff on a variety of topics.
The Swenson Center collections contain a number of other resources useful for Swedish-American studies.
- Digital Projects: A small portion of our collections are digitized. Also see Online Exhibits here.
- Church Records: A listing of Swedish-American and Swedish-Canadian church records by location.
- Organization/Lodge Records: A listing of Swedish-American organization and lodge records available either on microfilm or as an archival collection (list by location).
- Name Indexes by States: Name indexes to brief bios of Swedish-Americans from books on California, Illinois, Texas, and Washington.