Emil Anderson papers, 1895-1949
Emil Anderson papers
1895-1949 and undated
1 box (.25 linear feet)
Anderson, Emil, 1870-1954
Swedish Americans--Minnesota--Saint Paul.
Saint Paul (Minn.)
Violin teachers--United States
Lindstrom (Minn.)--History--Pictorial works.
W.J. Dyer & Bro. Music Company
Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center, Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois.
Collection consists of letters, receipts and photographs collected by Emil Anderson of St. Paul, Minnesota. Emil was a Swedish immigrant who worked as a musician and violin teacher at the W.J. Dyer & Bro. Music Company. He married Corine L. Paradis in 1903 and later Lydia Edstrom.
RIGHTS AND ACCESS
Conditions Governing Access:
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection.
Reproduction and Use:
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the Swenson Center and the copyright holder.
[item identification], in MSS P:350 Emil Anderson papers, Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center, Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois.
ACQUISITION AND RELATED MATERIALS
Source of Acquisition:
Donated by Barbara Insel in 2018. Materials were in possession of Barbara’s great aunt Lydia A. Edstrom Anderson, wife of Emil Anderson.
Finding aid written by Lisa Huntsha, 2018, following DACS description convention. Updated in 2019 to correct Emil’s birthdate and immigration year.
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
Papers collected by Emil Anderson (1870-1954) of St. Paul, Minnesota. Emil was a musician and violin teacher, working at the W.J. Dyer & Bro. Music Company. He immigrated to the United States from Sweden in 1886. He married Corine L. Paradis on October 17, 1903 in St. Paul. Corine died in 1905 after giving birth to a daughter, Corine. Emil Anderson later married Lydia Edstrom. Lydia is the great-aunt of the donor, Barbara Insel.
Scope and Content:
Collection includes letters from relatives in Sweden, death notices, informal pictures from outings at Cape Horn, Lindström, Minnesota, and various receipts.
System of Arrangement:
Arranged by materials type and chronologically.
- Letter to Emil from his father in Malmö, Sweden, on letterhead (Swedish), 1895
- Letter to Emil from his father in Malmö, Sweden, on letterhead (Swedish), 1899
- Death notice for Jeppa Andersson, Malmö, Sweden (Swedish), 1904
- Letter to Corine L. Anderson (Emil’s first wife) from her mother Mrs. E. B. Paradis (English), 1905
- Letter to Emil from mother-in-law Mrs. E. B. Paradis regarding death of his wife, Corinne (English), 1905
- Postcard with hunting scene to Emil from Sweden (Swedish), 1912
- Death notice for Emanuel Anderson, Malmö, Sweden (Swedish), 1915
- Letter to Emil from Rukard Hurd regarding sale of old Amati violin (English), 1921
- Death notice for Ida Hall, Avesta, Sweden (Swedish), 1922
- Letter to Emil from cousin Nils Conrad Andersson in Sweden, envelope with wax seals (Swedish), 1925
- Postcard to Emil from cousin Nils Conrad Andersson in Sweden (Swedish), 1926
- Letter to Emil from cousin Nils Conrad Andersson in Sweden, envelope with wax seals (Swedish), 1927
- Christmas Card to Emil from Corinne Martin (English), 1932
Seth Thomas Clock Company; Kapp & Peterson, Ltd. (Peterson Pipes, Dublin); O. H. Arosin Company: Diamonds, Watches and Sterling Silver; Dr. John A. Sudor, Dentist; Arthur F. Williams, Optician; Ballard Storage & Transfer Co.; rent payments (English), 1934, 1939-1942, 1949
3. Copy of prescription from Arthur F. Williams, Optician (English), 1941
4. Miscellaneous clipping related to Swedish violinist Johan Lindberg; Note of book titles (Swedish, English), undated
- Ronnov & Hansen, Tivoli Facadebygning Kjovenhavn V. (Copenhagen, Denmark) ca. 1895-1899, Emil on left
- 7 Photo postcards of outings at Cape Horn, Lindström, Minnesota, 1908
- Men drinking, smoking cigars, etc.
- 4 photographs of unidentified people boating, eating, etc., undated
- 4 photographs of Murdocks home and car (city house, shore house, High School, Hudson four-passenger coupe)