Lutheran Hospital (Moline, Ill.) records, 1915-1979
Lutheran Hospital (Moline, Ill.) records
1915-1979 (bulk 1929-1937)
1 box (.25 linear feet)
Lutheran Hospital (Moline, Ill.)
Lutheran Church--United States.
Church fund raising
International Council of Nurses.
Evangelical Lutheran Augustana Synod in North America
Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center, Augustana College, Rock Island, IL
This collection consists of financial and other information of the Lutheran Hospital, Moline, Illinois. Also includes information on the International Congress of Nurses 1929 meeting in Montreal, Canada, and a history of the Phoebe Circle, a support circle for the hospital.
RIGHTS AND ACCESS
Conditions Governing Access:
Collection is open for research.
Reproduction and Use:
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. Permission to publish, quote, or reproduce must be secured from the Swenson Center and the copyright holder.
[item identification], in I/O:19 Lutheran Hospital (Moline, Ill.) records, 1915-1979, Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center, Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois.
ACQUISITION AND RELATED MATERIALS
Records donated from the hospital to Augustana College library in 1943. Transferred to the Swenson Center in 1983. Some printed material deposited by Miss E. Dahlgren (no date); other printed material and historical sketch given by Miss Marian Godehn in 1984 and 1987.
The first twenty-five years, a history of the first years of the Lutheran Hospital, the School of Nursing, and the Alumnae Assoc. by Lutheran Hospital School for Nurses Alumni Association, 1942.
Finding aid revised from PastPerfect record by Lisa Huntsha in January 2017 following DACS description convention.
CONTENT AND STRUCTURE
The Lutheran Hospital opened February 4, 1916 at the corner of Fifth Avenue and Fifth Street in Moline, Illinois. It was formed under the auspices of the Rock Island District of the Illinois Conference of the Augustana Synod, which in 1913 established a board of directors tasked with creating the hospital. Rev. A. F. Bergstrom was named the first chairman of the hospital’s board. A rented building served as the first hospital and, in 1915, a benefit concert was held to raise funds to build a permanent institution. Olaf Cervin was chosen as the architect for the permanent building. A school of nursing was also established at the hospital, with Miss Emelia Dahlgren serving as the first superintendent of the hospital and school. The first nurses graduated in 1919. The school of nursing partnered with Augustana College by Dr. E. F. Bartholomew and Dr. J. P. Magnuson teaching psychology and chemistry, respectively. By 1930, nursing students had to complete two years of education at Augustana and three years at the hospital to earn their R.N. degree.
In 1989, Lutheran Hospital joined Moline Public Hospital, followed by Franciscan Hospital in 1992, to form Trinity Medical Center (now an affiliate of UnityPoint Health). The Lutheran Hospital was demolished in 1998.
Scope and Content:
This collection consists of financial information and resolutions of the Board of Directors of the Lutheran Hospital, Moline, Illinois, and financial petitions to the Rock Island District of the Illinois Conference of the Augustana Synod. Also includes an addendum to the Lutheran Hospital Annual Report of 1931 that bluntly illustrates the effect of the depression of the hospital’s finances. Collection includes several hospital brochures, benefit concert programs, and a commencement program. Also includes information on the International Congress of Nurses 1929 meeting in Montreal, Canada, and a history of the Phoebe Circle, a support circle for the hospital.
System of Arrangement:
Arranged by type of material and chronologically, as appropriate.
1. Reports and resolutions from Lutheran Hospital, 1932; Resolutions of the Pastoral and Mission Meeting committee of the Rock Island District of the Illinois Conference of the Augustana Synod, 1935
2. Report from Annual Business Meeting of Rock Island District of Illinois Conference of Augustana Synod held in Trinity Lutheran Church, Moline, Illinois 1929
3. Questionnaire responses for congregation aid from the Rock Island District of the Illinois Conference of the Augustana Synod, 1930
4. Addenda to Lutheran Hospital Annual Report, 1931
5. Lutheran Hospital financial account audits for years 1932, 1937
6. Lutheran Hospital brochures (no dates)
7. Lutheran Hospital School of Nursing Commencement Program, 1923; Capping Service, 1924
8. Lutheran Hospital Benefit Concern programs, 1915, 1916
9. History of Phoebe Circle, 1922-1979 (a hospital support circle organized in 1922 amount women members of First Lutheran Church in Moline)
10. Newspapers clipping on International Congress of Nurses, Montreal, July 1929 (donated by Emelia Dahlgren)
11. Documents from the International Congress of Nurses, Montreal, July 1929 (donated by Emelia Dahlgren)