Augustana College offers music scholarships to students of any major. Scholarships are renewable for four years and range from $1,000-$4,000.
All scholarship recipients are required to take applied lessons on the audition instrument for at least one credit, or one half-hour per week, and participate in one of the major ensembles: Augustana Symphonic Band, Augustana Concert band, Augustana Symphony Orchestra, Jazz Ensemble, Augustana Choir, Jenny Lind, Concert Chorale and OperX.
Two audition options are available:
1. On-campus audition: Perform an in-person audition with music faculty on campus on the date selected. We will listen to you perform and have time to learn more about you and answer any questions. You will have the opportunity to take a tour on these days as well. Vocalists will be given tonal memory and sight-reading during the audition. See specific audition requirements below.
2. Virtual audition: Jan. 21 will offer students the opportunity to submit a performance ahead of time and have a virtual meeting with music faculty. Recordings should be uploaded two weeks in advance of your virtual audition date. See specific audition requirements below.
• How to prepare for music auditions and instructions
On-campus, Academic Scholarship Day auditions:
Feb. 18, 2023 - deadline to register Jan. 28, 2023
• If you are planning to major in music, the audition will be your main scholarship competition that day.
• If you are planning to major in another field, you can compete in that other field, and complete your music audition later in the day.
• Students attending these days will need to register for their audition dates and register separately for the Scholarship Day.
On-campus music auditions:
March 11, 2023 - On-campus audition day; deadline to register Feb. 18, 2023
March 18, 2023 - On-campus audition day; deadline to register Feb. 25, 2023
Jan. 21, 2023 - Virtual audition day; deadline to register Jan. 3, 2023
• Students should upload their recordings in their Admissions portal. Recordings must be uploaded by Jan. 7, 2023.
Please fill out the alternate date form if you are unable to attend a virtual or on-campus audition day. Admissions will work with you to schedule a virtual or on-campus audition on a different day.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need to be a music major?
No. With the exception of the Carl B. Nelson Music Education Scholarship, all scholarships are open to majors and non-majors.
Do I need to be accepted at Augustana in order to sign up for a visit or audition?
No. Your application for admission to Augustana College should be complete by the audition date. Please apply and set up your audition date as soon as possible, as there is limited room. Do not wait until you are accepted.
Do I have to audition to be accepted?
No. There is no audition for admission to the music program or degrees. Your acceptance to the college allows you to pursue any major. We have course requirements to ensure quality progress towards your degree.
Is this an audition for an ensemble?
No. Ensemble auditions are held the weekend before the start of classes in the fall.
Can I audition on more than one instrument?
You will be scheduled for two auditions. We do our best to schedule them within an hour or two of each other. Again, you will receive the higher of the two scholarships, as we can only award one.
How long are the auditions?
Auditions are 10-20 minutes long
Do I need an accompanist?
We provide an accompanist for all vocal auditions, or you may bring your own. Vocalists get 5-10 minutes with the accompanist before they go into the audition. (For this year’s virtual auditions, we can provide recordings.)
Instrumentalists may bring their own accompanist, but most audition without accompaniment. It will have no impact on your results.
Do I need to bring music or send it ahead of time?
No music is needed ahead of time.
When will I hear about my audition time?
We send a schedule approximately two weeks before the audition date.
If I receive a scholarship, what are the requirements?
All scholarship recipients are required to take applied lessons on the audition instrument for at least one credit, or one half-hour per week, and participate in one of the major ensembles. There is a fee for music lessons.
What if I cannot make one of the scheduled audition dates?
It is best to audition on a scheduled date, however if you cannot, please contact the office by email.