J. F. Ring
Instructor of vocal music and organist, 1879-1882
(This series of Notable Faculty profiles was written in celebration Augustana's sesquicentennial in 2009.)
J. F. Ring was the organist and choir master for five years at the Immanuel Church of Chicago and at the Lutheran Church in Moline. In 1879, he was offered a teaching position at Augustana College, fulfilling the vacancy left by Professor Wihlborg.
At Augustana, Ring taught voice lessons for four hours per week in the fall and two hours in the spring, at a price of $1 an hour. The students for his lessons included members of both the college and the seminary; these lessons were 90 minutes a week, while those of students in the preparatory school (high school division) were 60 minutes a week.
In 1880, Ring became the organist for Augustana College. Ring's appointment was renewed in 1881 for four hours per week; he was replaced in 1882 by Professor Gustav Stolpe.