J. C. Gustus
Professor of business, 1889-1897
(This series of Notable Faculty profiles was written in celebration Augustana's sesquicentennial in 2009.)
J. C. Gustus came to Augustana in 1889 to be the director of the Commercial Department. He had a background in accounting, which had well prepared him for teaching accounting, commercial law, and penmanship.
The following school year, the Commercial Department became known as the Augustana Business College and School of Phonography. This department gave both men and women the opportunity to learn how a business functions, and, mostly for women, training in secretarial matters, such as typing and shorthand.
During his time at Augustana, Gustus taught a variety of courses, including book-keeping, business practice, business law, civil government, and civics. Gustus was principle of the Business College from 1889 until 1892, when it fell under the control of Olof Olsson, president of Augustana. In 1897, Gustus left the thriving Business College.