G. W. Sandt
Professor of English, 1884-1888
(This series of Notable Faculty profiles was written in celebration Augustana's sesquicentennial in 2009.)
Reverend G. W. Sandt was born in 1854, and was called to Augustana College in 1884. He taught English and literature.
Sandt was an American pastor who had studied at the Philadelphia Seminary. Having an American teach at Augustana was a blending of the American and Swedish heritages at Augustana. Sandt was also a supporter of the Conservatory, begun in 1886.
In 1888, Sandt returned to the East Coast, and was succeeded in the English department by E. F. Bartholomew.