An alumnus who created Augustana’s Institute for Leadership and Service in 1998 has increased its endowment and renamed it in honor of retiring President Steve Bahls.
The institute, founded by Perry Waughtal ‘58 and his wife Terrie, now will be known as the Steven C. Bahls Institute for Leadership and Service, the college announced today.
“Steve Bahls has been a true example of the type of servant leadership the world needs, and Terrie and I want to recognize his leadership and contributions to Augustana by renaming the institute in his honor,” Waughtal said.
President Bahls is retiring June 30 after serving the college for 19 years.
The institute has been exclusively funded by the Waughtals. It was established to educate Augustana College students about servant leadership by bringing servant leaders to campus to interact with students in small group settings.
The goal is to help students identify and understand the qualities necessary for success as a servant leader in a diverse and changing world.
“I am humbled by this honor and grateful to Perry and Terrie, with whom Jane and I have spent some very special times during my presidency,” said President Bahls.
Past speakers made possible by the institute include:
• Vick Schutz, computer graphics supervisor for such films as “Rogue One, Star Wars: Episode II” and “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets”
• Julie Baner ‘02, production supervisor with Walt Disney Animation Studios
• Don Gonyea, national political and White House correspondent for NPR News
• Dr. Michael Gapen ‘91, chief U.S. economist for Barclays
• Dr. Lee Glazer, director of the U.S. National Archives
• Leonard Pitts Jr., Pulitzer Prize winning author and nationally syndicated columnist for the Miami Herald
• NASA aerospace engineer Aaron Brown
• 2002 Time Person of the Year Cynthia Cooper
• Former Congressman and U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood
• Former U.S. Senator Adlai Stevenson III
• Broadway producer and director Phil McKinley
• Medical journalist Dr. Timothy Johnson
Support of the institute
The Steven C. Bahls Institute for Leadership and Service at Augustana College is supported through an endowed fund. Alumni and friends of the college who would like to make a gift to the institute in recognition of President Bahls’ servant leadership should contact Kent Barnds, executive vice president of external relations.
Those who choose to make a gift directly online can designate the gift by selecting “Other” and typing “Institute for Leadership and Service” when prompted.