Geology majors are well-prepared for graduate school in earth and environmental sciences or law, and many majors pursue careers in earth sciences, education or business. Many geology majors also choose to minor in environmental studies or biology.
During recent summers, geology majors held paid internships and jobs in:
- Research using drones to map beach morphology at the University of Delaware.
- Research using diamond anvils to conduct ultra-high pressure mineral geophysics experiments at the Carnegie's Energy Frontier Research in Extreme Environments Center.
- Internship with the Illinois State Geological Survey to study the paleoclimate and paleoenvironment of southwest Illinois.
- Research on sea-level change of the east coast of North America at Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, New York.
- Research of stream profiles using Terrestrial LiDAR data at Western Illinois University.
- Internship to study the health and slope stability of urban watersheds, Upper Mississippi Center, Augustana College.
- Research on the heat-treatment of gemstones, Chanthaburi, Thailand.
- Research on mercury contamination of Arctic birds, Thule, Greenland.
- Internship at the Carnegie Institution, Washington, D.C on the biogeochemistry of ancient Earth.
- Internship in the paleontology lab of the Field Museum, Chicago
- Teaching assistantship for a geology field course, Wyoming.
- Dinosaur tooth histology research in the paleo labs at Augustana College.
- Northern Rockies Paleontology Assistantship through GeoCorps and the National Park Service.
A sampling of what recent graduates in geology are doing:
Robert Martin ’17 is an environmental geologist with Trinity Environmental in Sugar Land, Texas.
Jessa Rizzo ’17 is pursuing a graduate degree with the Gemological Institute of America, Carlsbad, California.
Jacob Piske ’17 is pursuing a master's degree in hydrogeology at Illinois State University.
Laura Behymer'16 is a staff geologist with Tri-State Asphalt in Morris, Illinois.
Kati Ponder '16 is a natural resource management intern with the Bureau of Land Management in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Laura Ames '16 is an environmental lab technician for Sanders Laboratories, Ft. Meyers, Florida.
Evan Blodgett '15 is a staff geologist for the geotechnical engineering firm Chosen Valley Testing in Rochester, Minnesota.
Cody Johnson '15 is a restoration technician for Applied Ecological Services in Milwaukee, Wisconsin .
Kevin Gosiewski '15 is a field technician for the environmental consulting firm Mostardi Platt in Elmhurst, Illinois.
Ryan Plath '15 is pursuing a master's degree in hydrogeology at Illinois State University.
Joey Romero '15 is pursuing a Ph.D. in biogeoscience at Arizona State University.
Brian Trausch '15 is a lab technician for United States Gypsum Corporation in Libertyville, Illinois.
Diana Boudreau '14 is pursuing a master's degree in paleontology at Marshall University, West Virginia.
Jordan Carey '14 is pursuing a master's degree in fluvial geomorphology at University of California, Davis.
Lauren Kirik '14 is an operations geologist with the independent energy company Apache Corporation in San Antonio, Texas.
Brian Konecke '14 is pursuing a Ph.D. in geochemistry/economic geology at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
Alexis McAdams '14 is a program assistant for the Earth and Planetary Sciences department, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois.
Matt Osman '14 is a Fulbright Award winner pursuing a Ph.D. in glaciology/climatology at the MIT's Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute Joint Program, Massachusetts.
Elizabeth Fisher '13 is a full-time preparator for the Transantarctic Vertebrate Paleontology Project at the Field Museum, Chicago.
Randy Lightfoot '13 is a diamond grader for the Gemological Institute of America.
Carl Peters '13 is a staff scientist at the environmental services company BBJ Group, Chicago, Illinois.
Maren Mathisen '12 received a master's degree in geology at the Jackson School of Geosciences, University of Texas at Austin, and is working for Statoil, Houston, Texas.
Austin Emmer '12 is a pollution control technician with the Metropolitan Reclamation District of Greater Chicago, Illinois.