Students plan suture seminar
February 08, 2013
A seminar to teach Augustana students how to use needle and thread in surgical procedures will be held Saturday, March 9, from noon to 2 p.m. at Augustana’s Hanson Hall of Science (726 35th Street).
For students starting out on the road to a medical career, having the chance to work with sutures offers a high-impact preview of the profession.
“The suture kits we will be using are just needle and thread,” said Eric Pease '13, a student organizer from Beta Beta Beta, the honor society that is sponsoring the event. “However, there are different stitching patterns and methods of suturing that are used for various reasons, and different types of surgery.”
The seminar involves pigs' feet, like those obtained from a butcher, and students sew them back together. The students once again are partnering with Trinity Regional Health System to secure needed supplies. Plus, students are reaching out to local physicians who will be on hand to offer instructions and answer questions.
"Trinity values the importance of hands-on learning opportunities that engage future healthcare professionals, so we were more than happy to provide the use of materials and instruments again this year," said Paula Tanner, Trinity's manager of Central Services.
“This type of event provides pre-health students the opportunity to get hands-on experience in the field and also to make contact with several physicians,” Pease said, noting that mentorship from area physicians is invaluable.
Pease is a senior from Sterling, Ill., majoring in neuroscience and pre-medicine. Students from other classes and majors are welcome to attend the seminar, especially those in pre-veterinary, physical therapy, nursing and biology. Organizers expect up to 100 Augustana students will participate.
The program is a partnership between Augustana and several local medical facilities. Trinity is providing the supplies, and the following medical professionals will assist students during the event:
• Alexander Pinc, MD – medical director of emergency services, Mercy Medical Center
• Srinivasan Purighalla, MD – neurosurgeon, Purighalla Neuroscience and Spine Institute
• Nathan Fierce, DO – general surgeon, Trinity Regional Health System
• James Petre, MD – family practitioner, Stone Ridge Medical Group
• Anne Petre, MD – family practitioner, Stone Ridge Medical Group
• Julianna Castro, FNP – nurse practitioner, Stone Ridge Medical Group
• Rhonda Sowards, MD – emergency physician, Trinity Regional Health System
• David Anderson, DDS – oral maxillofacial surgeon, Mississippi Valley Oral Surgery
• Stephen Bayne, MD – plastic surgeon, Plastic Surgery Associates
Dr. Fierce ’00, Dr. Sowards ’00, Dr. Anderson ’84 and Dr. Bayne ’84 are Augustana alumni.
Director of Public Relations