Augustana Observer & Rockety-I Database
The database which you are about to use is an online version of the Augustana Observer, Augustana College's student newspaper, and Rockety-I, Augustana's yearbook. It includes issues from the Observer's beginning in 1902 through the end of the previous school year, and the Rockety-I from 1900 to 2004, the last year it was produced. Complete runs of the Observer and Rockety-I are available on paper in Augustana College's Special Collections, located on the first floor of the Thomas Tredway Library. The Thomas Tredway Library also holds microfilm of the Observer, and copies of most Rockety-I yearbooks in the stacks. For information on how to contact Special Collections, please click here.
Basic instructions for using the Augustana Observer and Rockety-I online
- The Observer and Rockety-I database works best in Internet Explorer. You will need to allow pop-ups from the site for the interface to work properly.
- If you are having trouble with the database or display, you may need to change other settings. Click the "return to entry page" button on the bottom of the side menu and then choose the "first time users" button for a list of settings to change.
- The Observer and Rockety-I are keyword searchable.
- To search for an exact phrase, change the search type in the left-hand column to "phrase." Do not use quotation marks.
- If you are interested in results from only a certain period of Augustana's history, you can limit the dates you search using the box next to the search button. This allows you to limit by decade, year, and issue.
- Between 1920 and 1938, the Rockety-I was published by the junoir class. This means that the yearbook which reads "1920" on the cover is about the 1918-1919 school year. In the database this yearbook will be listed as "1919" to indicated the school year covered. There are two yearbooks with "1938" on the cover, but they are not about the same school year.
- If you want to view an entire issue or year, simply choose it through the date search and hit "search" while leaving the search box blank.
- After you have done your search, snippets of your results, with your search terms highlighted, will appear on the right side of your screen.
- Mouse over a snippet to see a preview of the page. Click either the snippet or the preview to view the full-size page.
- All pages display as PDFs. You will need to install Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free software, to view PDFs if you do not have it on your computer.
- If you are having trouble finding the term you searched for within a PDF, you might try using the box labeled "find" in the Adobe toolbar above the newspaper page.
- Once you have opened the PDF, you may print or save the document using the buttons in the Adobe toolbar. Be sure to note the date for your citation, as it may not appear in all the PDFs.
NOTE: For more detailed instructions on using the Observer and Rockety-I database, please click here.