Mental health emergeny that requires 911 call
Call 911. The caller should be prepared to provide a location and remain in contact with the dispatcher. If possible, ask if Augustana Security should be contacted to provide assistance. After the call is made, the following should happen:
• A caller should always put his/her own safety first.
• Minimize damage a victim can do to himself/herself by removing dangerous objects, etc.
• A caller may not be able to provide personal assistance, but can make sure trained personnel can find the victim.
• If necessary, seek a safe place until trained personnel arrive.
• The caller can attempt to calm the person with sympathetic words, suggestions to sit down, relax, explain what happened, etc.
• Do not touch or agitate the victim.