Residential Life Employment Opportunities
The Office of Residential Life offers two part-time employment opportunities for student residents: Community Advisor (CA) and Desk Assistant (DA) positions.
The Community Advisor (CA) is a student staff member who lives on a residence hall floor or designated Transitional Living Area (TLA) under the direct supervision of an Area Coordinator (AC). The CA's primary role is to encourage and inspire each resident's development while promoting a safe, secure and welcoming community.
- Enrollment at Augustana College as a full-time student and at least one term of campus living experience
- A cumulative GPA of 2.25
- Availability for staff meetings on Tuesdays from 9-11 p.m. and fall/midyear training
- Compliance with all codes and policies of Augustana College and the Office of Residential Life
- Limitation of involvement in clubs, organizations, athletics, and outside employment relative to the time requirements of the position.
- Assisting residents with personal and academic concerns
- Encouraging, and when necessary enforcing, mature behavior among residents
- Coordinating programs and events to promote community development
- Disseminating information and serving as a campus referral resource
- Maintaining an environment that promotes academic success
The CA selection process takes place during the latter part of winter term. Information meetings are scheduled during Week 8 of Winter Term and will be advertised via e-mail. If you are interested in becoming a CA, we encourage you to approach our student and/or professional staff for their personal perspectives. You are also welcome to contact the Office of Residential Life at (309) 794-2686.
First-year CA stipends range from $3717.00 - $3912.00 for the academic year. Single rooms are offered at a discounted cost. Surpassing the tangible compensation is the quality, hands-on leadership training that you will receive. This is one of a very few campus opportunities where students can learn essential leadership skills in such a comprehensive manner and in such a supportive environment.
For More Information:
The Swanson Commons and Westerlin Residence Center service desks are staffed from noon - 9 p.m. daily by student Desk Assistants (DAs). The DAs play an essential receptionist-type role that includes a number of services to assist residents and building guests.
- Great customer service skills
- Ability to remain until hall closing for at least one break period
- Answering the desk phone and taking messages
- Updating computerized logs as needed and informing residents of deliveries
- Maintaining the security of the building by monitoring the entrance area and assisting staff as needed
- Providing hall and campus information/referral assistance
- Checking out desk equipment
- Providing change and vending refunds
The DA selection process commences immediately after the housing selection process has been completed each spring (April, Week 8). It is coordinated by the current and incoming hall Assistant Residence Directors (ARD) and announced to the campus community via e-mail. The process itself consists of an interview and requires a recommendation from a current Office of Residential Life staff member.
If openings are still available early in the fall term, ARDs will advertise them to their hall communities at that time.
DAs receive the minimum hourly wage ($8.25/hour). Work-study eligible students are encouraged to apply.