Call 911 and pull the fire alarm quickly. The caller should be prepared to provide a location to the dispatcher. If possible, ask the dispatcher to notify Augustana Security and relay the location of fire. After the call is made, the caller should attempt the following:
• Yell "FIRE." If possible, try to contain the fire by closing doors while evacuating.
• Use a fire extinguisher if it is available and the fire is not yet out of control. Follow instructions on the extinguisher which directs the user to pull the safety pin, aim the nozzle at the base of the fire, squeeze the handles together and sweep from side to side.
• When you need to evacuate, do so immediately. Help everyone you encounter to move in an orderly manner out of the building and to a safe location away from the building. Do not use the elevators.
• Gather a safe distance from the building and out of the way of police and firefighters.
• If you are trapped in the building, go to a room with a window and signal for help. If you have a cell phone, call for help.
• Remember to stay near the floor to avoid the smoke and maximize available fresh air.