Campus update for July 24, 2020
July 24, 2020
Fred Kurt, director of Dining Services, explains the steps he and his team will take to keep us safe in the fall semester.
He also lists the things Dining Services is going to ask of you:
• Wear masks or other facial coverings in common areas.
• Remove your mask when you are seated and ready to enjoy your meal.
• Do self-screenings, and if you are showing any signs of COVID-19, do not go to any dining facility. (Transcript)
See our playlist of COVID-19 informational videos.
• We will hold a graduation ceremony for the classes of 2020 and 2021 on Sunday, May 23, 2021. The college had planned to hold an in-person ceremony for the Class of 2020 this October, but it is likely that the Illinois ban on gatherings of more than 50 people in any one place will still be in effect.
• At the very top of the Augustana website, you will see "Latest COVID-19 information." This is a resource we hope you are using. It has been reorganized this past week. Please note the new section on Policies at the top, and the two new policies on distance learning options for fall and refunds.
• Before you return in August, you will get an email asking you to complete Return to Campus COVID-19 training. It includes reading, quizzes and videos presented in an interactive way, and will take less than 15 minutes.
In case you were wondering: What "move-out" means
Several people have asked for clarification about the Nov. 25 move-out date on the academic calendar, and what exactly "Students move out of halls" means.
It means that if students are planning to come back for J-term or spring semester, they will take home just the necessities and not move completely out of their rooms, keeping the same room for the entire academic year.
Student who choose distance learning for the fall semester will need to reapply for housing for the spring semester. Residential Life will assign housing at that time.
All classes will switch to distance learning after Thanksgiving. Students in campus housing then have the option to return home for the rest of the semester, or to remain on campus. Those who wish to remain on campus must notify Residential Life. Campus housing will close for the semester Dec. 12.
Students returning to campus for J-term will return to campus housing Jan. 3, 2021. Those returning for the spring semester will be back Feb. 2.