Campus Update: What to know for fall semester
Aug. 24, 2021
Less than a week to go!
As we prepare for move-in and the start of classes, here are some key points to remember from our COVID-19 briefing on Monday:
• The COVID-19 vaccine is strongly encouraged for everyone. The campus clinic will be open weekdays, starting Aug. 26, to begin administering vaccinations. You also can be tested for COVID-19 at the clinic.
Note: If you are feeling ill, test positive, or have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive, call Augustana Public Safety, 309-794-7711.
• Everyone — vaccinated or not — must mask indoors in all public spaces, including hallways and when visiting campus offices. The only exceptions are roommates in their residence hall rooms and employees alone in their offices.
Students moving into campus-owned housing this week must wear masks, as do family members and friends who are helping them.
• Unvaccinated students can expect to be tested every two weeks at the campus health clinic. Unvaccinated student-athletes will be tested weekly during their competition seasons.
• Students who will live in a campus hall or TLA must complete the vaccination registration form before they can get keys to their residences.
• Students who are not vaccinated will not be able to participate in choir and band, international travel, or some internships.
• In classrooms, there will be a minimum of three feet between people.
The good news is that it appears about 91 percent of the campus community has been or will be vaccinated before the start of classes (based on the number of people completing the vaccination form).
Spectators will be permitted at all athletic contests. They must be masked at indoor events and they should be mindful of social distancing.
We will continue to perform our own contact tracing for a quicker response time. The amount of days for quarantine will vary based on whether a person is vaccinated or not.
During the briefing, President Steve Bahls and Dean of Students Wes Brooks emphasized that we will adjust protective measures as conditions warrant, so please be alert to communications from the college via email, the website and social media.