Sven Malte Swanson papers, 1925-1982
Size: .5 linear feet, 1 box
Acquisition: The collection was donated to Swenson Center by Sven M. Swanson in 1981 and 1982.
Access: The collection is open for research.
Processed by: Laura Kuzel, 1983
Control Num.: SSIRC MSS P:27
The first of the Sven M. Swanson papers were given to the SSIRC on October 23, 1981, by Sven M. Swanson. Other material was received during the course of 1982. The bulk of his papers and collections were donated to the Emigrant Institute in Växjö, Sweden, in the 1970's.
Sven Malte Swanson was born in Arrarps By, Malmöhus län, Skåne, Sweden July 3, 1903. He grew up in Härslöv församling and came from a family of five children. His mother was Helena Vickström and his father Nils Svensson. At age19, he enlisted in the regiment (I. 22) in Karlstad for a total of four years (1922-1926).Due to the lack of employment, he left Sweden for America on April 25, 1928 destined for Beloit, Wisconsin.
He resided with a brother who had immigrated to America in 1908. He was employed as a blacksmith with the Fairbanks Morse Company in August of 1928. On February 22, 1930 he married Emma Holm (d. 1974) of DeKalb, Illinois. Shortly thereafter he and Emma moved out to the country to manage a 120 acres farm. Swanson continued his employment with the Fairbanks Morse Company until he retired in 1976. In his free time, he wrote songs and poems, especially on the subject of space travel. Some of his compositions are included in this collection.
Organization of the Collection
The collection is organized in the following 6 categories:
I. Autobiographical and Biographical Material.
II. Honorary Certificates and Awards (Political Recognitions).
IV. Musical Compositions.
V. Correspondence and Autographed Photographs.
VI. Subject Files.
1. Swanson, Sven M. (1903) Papers. Autobiographical and Biographical Material. 1925; 1960; 1969; 1971; 1972; 1979; 1981; 1982; n.d. driver’s license and photograph; photocopies of biographical articles on donor; biographical articles; black and white photograph of donor.
2. Honorary Certificates and Awards.1976, 1981,1982. Laminated photocopies of membership cards and visitor’s passes for National Republican Committee; Presidential and National Republican Honor Certificates.
3. Writings, 1976, 1979, 1980, 1981 and 1982. Photocopies of poem written for American Bicentennial and letters to newspaper editors and social columns.
4. Musical Compositions. 1960; 1962; 1964; 1966; 1967; 1969;n.d. Compositions (some photocopies) on Space Travel.
5. Correspondence and Autographed Photos. 1968; 1971; 1973; 1974; 1975; 1980; n.d. Correspondence and autographed pictures from political figures and celebrities.
6. Emigrant Institute, Växjö, and Emigrant Register, Karlstad. 1979. Token postcards from House of Emigrants, Växjö; American Swedish Institute, Minnesota; Christmas card from Emigrant Register, Karlstad; brochures, publications from Växjö; laminated newspaper clippings on Minnesotadagen in Växjö.
7. Olympic Speedskaters 1972. Newspaper clippings, programs from performances.