Selma Olivia Moberg missionary to China collection
|Creators:||Moberg, Selma Olivia (1869-1934)|
English, Chinese, Swedish
The collection is open for research onsite. A limited amount of photocopies may be requested via mail.
|Subject Headings:||Women missionaries--China
Lisa Huntsha, 2013
Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center
639 38th Street
Rock Island, IL 61201
Donated to the Swenson Center in 2013 by John F. Nystrom. Relation to the creator unknown.
Selma Olivia Moberg was born on October 3, 1869 in Sweden. She died on December 14, 1934 in Brockton, Massachusetts and is buried in Melrose Cemetery. She served as a missionary to China from 1903-1924 through the South Chihli mission.
The collection includes postcards Moberg send to Anna Bjork, publications from the mission (in English and Chinese), the New Testament in Chinese, and textiles and cultural objects from China.
Many of the objects from this collection can be viewed online in our PastPerfect Online Database by clicking the link and keyword searching "Selma Olivia Moberg missionary to China collection" (with the quotes).
Selma Moberg photograph collection (MSS P:336)
1. Collection notes and family genealogical information from donor
2. Selma Moberg portrait and missionary photographs
3. Postcards from Selma Moberg to Anna Bjork (1906, 1910,l 1911, 1912) in English, and to a Mrs. Bjork (1926) in Swedish
4. "Barley Cake" South Chihli Mission publication, 1912, 1914, 1915
5. South Chihli Mission Handbook, 1907 and South Chihli Mission Prayer List, 1906
6. Map of China mission area
7. Printed materials in Chinese
8. New Testament, in Chinese
13 cultural objects including: foot binding shoes (lotus slippers), adornments, chopsticks, a pouch, kimono fragments, and a kimono
Calendar with booklet "The Chinese Kitchen Gods"
When citing this collection, use the following credit line: Selma Olivia Moberg missionary to China collection (MSS P:332), Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center, Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois