Over the last ten to fifteen years, ITS has implemented classroom technology in nearly 100 classroom spaces on the Augustana Campus. However, over time – and as product lines changed – classroom capabilities varied significantly across campus. In the past two years, ITS has standardized on one system – Extron – for classroom equipment. Our goal – make classrooms as easy to use as possible while giving you the flexibility to plug in newer tablets and laptops. So far, we’ve refreshed Old Main, Olin, Hanson Science, and most of Sorensen – so we’re close to halfway done! Our goal is to establish the Extron standards across all 100 classrooms while at the same time switching to newer projection that eliminates toxic mercury lamps, or to larger LCD displays in smaller rooms. If you have questions about the new classroom standards, contact Shawn Beattie or Diane Heist in ITS.
We’ve just started Spring Term, but it’s never too early to back up your files. ITS encourages you save early, save often, and save in multiple places. Google Drive is a good way to make sure that you have an up to date copy of your papers and other assignments saved in the cloud automatically.
Benefits of Google Drive
Files are synced automatically to and from the cloud when they are saved to your Google Drive folder or edited in the cloud
Unlimited storage space for Education users
Can be accessed on iOS and Android devices through the Google Drive App
Can share and collaborate on documents in real time
How to change your network and Arches (formerly WebAdvisor) password when logging into a campus computer (only works on PCs – Macs should use the next technique)
Note: You may want to write down the following instructions because you won’t be able to see them when you are in the process.
Press ctrl + alt + delete on your keybord (at the same time)
Press Change a password…
Fill out the form and press enter on your keyboard
On a Mac or off campus?
To change your network, Arches (formerly WebAdvisor), and Moodle password click the Change Your Password link near the top right corner of the Arches main page or the Change Your Password link in the Moodle navigation pane.
Various training sessions and workshops are provided by ITS throughout the year. All employees and students are welcome to attend, free of charge. Staff can also get credit for Blue and Gold Certification which is our on-campus professional development program.
The cost to print a poster has been cut in half! It’s now $1.50 per sq. ft. to print on matte paper and $2.00 per sq. ft. to print on glossy paper. To print a poster, simply email the file in .ppt, .jpg, .pdf or .pub format to firstname.lastname@example.org, or you may bring a USB drive into the ITS office on 1st floor in Sorensen.
If a campus department is not paying for your printing, the charges can be deducted from your student PaperCut account balance (http://www.augustana.edu/student-life/student-services/information-technology-services-(its)/policies-and-guidelines/papercut-policy). Log in to your PaperCut account at http://printing.augustana.edu.
1. Movenote (free – PC, Mac, iOS, Android) – very easy tool for annotating PPT, PDF, or images with audio/video. Very low learning curve, and it generates a link or MP4 output.
2. Screencast-o-matic (PC, Mac) – awesome tool for creating screencasts with or without webcam. Allows you to annotate recordings of any area of your screen for talking over PowerPoint or any software you’d like to demo. It generates a link or MP4 output. (sample)
3. Camtasia (PC, Mac) – the “swiss army knife” of screen capture and video editing. Allows inline quizzing as well. The feature set is extensive and may overwhelm some users, but it is powerful and a good option if you plan to do more than just a few videos or wish to do longer videos.
4. Jing (PC, Mac) – an oldie but a goodie. It is a free application that lets you quickly record video.
5. Explain Everything (iOS, Android, Win8) – for tablets, this is our pick. Whiteboard app with the ability to record audio and/or video from your tablet camera and manipulate slides and objects on-screen. Generates an MP4 to your Google Drive.
Last year the college purchased a subscription to an online learning company lynda.com. This software is available to ALL faculty, staff, and students.
What is lynda.com: lynda.com is a leading online learning company that helps anyone learn business, software, technology and creative skills to achieve personal and professional goals. Through individual, corporate, academic and government subscriptions, members have access to the lynda.com video library of engaging, top-quality courses taught by recognized industry experts.
If you have never logged on go to: iplogin.lynda.com. Click “create a profile”. One note, you must be on campus the first time you logon the lynda.com. After that you can login anywhere.
Along with the videos, most sessions have sample files you can download. For more details and suggestions check out the Augustana.edu website at: http://www.augustana.edu/x59124.xml
Have you ever encountered a situation when you needed to use a lab computer, but you arrived and all of the computers were already in use? Looking for a quiet corner to study?
Well, thanks to a software program that was installed on our lab computers earlier this year, you can check computer availability before you leave for the lab. This will be especially useful during busier times such as midterms and finals week as you can choose where to study by how many computers are available.
Microsoft now offers Office 365 including Office Professional Plus (2013) or Office Professional 2011 (Mac), as well as versions for iOS or Android, to current students and employees of Augustana.
**Mac users – if you are running Yosemite 10.10 or newer, you’ll get Office 2016 for Mac. If you’re running Mavericks 10.9 or older, you’ll get Office 2011 for Mac.
To sign up, follow these steps:
1. Go to www.office.com/getOffice365 and click on the Find out if you’re eligible button.
2. Enter your Augustana email address.
3. Open your email and verify your address by clicking the link sent by Microsoft.
4. Choose an Office 365 password.
5. Uncheck “Make Bing/MSN your start page” unless you want that – and click “Install Now” to download a setup application for Office Professional. (You can install on up to 5 PCs or Macs)
6. When prompted, choose that you are an Office 365 subscriber and enter your email address and Office 365 password.
That’s it! As long as you continue as an Augustana student or employee you will have access to this Office 365 benefit.
It’s about that time again. Finals week is approaching and students are working on papers and projects right up to the deadlines. This is the worst time for data loss on campus, so take a minute from studying and consider the following tips for protecting your files:
Know where your file is saved – sometimes when you download a file from your email, it is saved in a temporary location. Once it is downloaded to the computer, make sure to Save As and follow tip #2.
Save your file in a safe place – campus lab computers have deepfreeze on them, so all files saved on the C:drive will be deleted upon restart.
Safe places include: