Augustana College printing logo

If you plan to seek part-time campus employment while at Augustana, the Career Development Office is a great place to start. We offer:

  • Coming soon! The Career Development Office is revamping the job postings website. We are currently transitioning to a new system for posting on and off campus jobs that will be ready by the beginning of fall term 2014.
  • Assistance to students experiencing difficulty locating a job (on and/or off campus)
  • Assistance to students seeking Community Service Federal Work Study opportunities

Finding a Job

In August, after fall term is in session, we recommend that you visit the Career Development Office on the first floor of Olin to find out about job postings from academic departments and administrative offices. First-year students will have the opportunity to apply for jobs in Dining Services at Orientation and Registration.

Augustana does not assign or guarantee jobs. We believe it is important for the student to pursue employment that matches his/her skill sets and interests. This allows both the department to find the ideal student employee and the student to find a more satisfying work environment.

Is Working On Campus Only About Money?

Earning money to help cover college expenses may be a factor, but there are other advantages to having a job on campus. Being employed on campus will help you develop good work habits, communication skills, and time management. It is also an opportunity to network with faculty and administrators and meet other students. You may also gain career experience. For example, if you are majoring in biology, you may find a job as a lab assistant. The skills you learn may be transferable to a position after graduation.

All student employment positions will be paid at the current minimum wage of $8.25. Students can schedule up to 9-10 hours per week based on the student's availability and the needs of the employing office.

Federal Work Study Program

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a need-based financial aid program that allows a student to work on campus to earn money for college expenses. Part-time job opportunities are coordinated through the Career Development Office in Olin. These job opportunites will also be listed on the job postings website coming soon. 

Non-Federal Work Study Employment

Students who do not qualify for Federal Work Study, based on eligibility determined by completion of the FAFSA, have the opportunity to work on campus through general employment. Many non-work study students are hired because they possess a particular skill. Specialized jobs might include lab proctors, graders, or translators.
Non-Federal Work Study students are encouraged to apply for openings in their area of interest. They will be considered depending on the number of qualified Federal Work Study eligible students available for those positions.

Papers, Please

Before you can begin to work on campus, you must complete:

  1. Federal I-9 form
  2. Federal W4 form

And you must show the following documents:

  1. Valid U.S. Passport or
  2. Picture ID (School or Driver's license) and either an original social security
    card or an original birth certificate.

You will have the opportunity to complete the I-9 and the W4 at Orientation and Registration. If you do not have a U.S. Passport or Driver's License (with accompanying items) at that time, you will need to take these documents to the Payroll Office in Sorensen Hall when you arrive on campus in the fall. These documents must be on file before you
begin work on campus.

Other Important Information About Student Employment And Financial Assistance

While your financial assistance award letter may show eligibility for Federal Work Study, do not include that dollar figure when budgeting your remaining out-of-pocket costs for the entire academic year.  Reasons for this include:

  1. A job must be obtained first in order to earn the awarded work study funds. 
  2. Wages earned are not credited to your account in the Business Office.  You will receive a biweekly paycheck which will be sent to your campus mailbox. You will then have the option of using the money for personal expenses or applying your check to your account for tuition.

Looking For A Job On Campus?

There are many opportunities to work on campus. The following are some

    • Residence hall desk assistants - Westerlin and Swanson Commons
    • General Office Assistant
    • Life-guards - Carver Athletic Center Pool
    • Centennial Hall Performance Staff
    • Dining Service workers - This includes the dining room in the Center for
      Student Life and the College Center Snack Bar. The Westerlin Convenient Store
      and the Brew by the Slough are staffed with dining service students who have
      been employed by the Dining Service for at least six months.
    • Library student assistants
    • Information Technology Systems-student assistants
    • Pepsico intramural assistants
    • Augustana Bookstore student workers
    • Facilities-grounds, general student assistant, summer paint crew, etc.

If you are looking for a specific job, please contact the Student Employment and Campus Internships Coordinator in the Career Development Office on the first floor of Olin for more information.


Facebook linktwitter linkyoutube linkfeed link