Augustana College printing logo

Student Employment

Students planning to seek part-time campus employment should contact the Office of Career Development in the Olin Center.

It offers:

  • On- and off-campus posting for jobs and internships at Augie Hub.
  • Assistance to students experiencing difficulty locating a job (on and/or off campus)
  • Assistance to students seeking Community Service Federal Work Study opportunities

Finding a job

After the beginning of fall term, students are encouraged to visit The Office of Career Development Office to find out about job postings from academic departments and administrative offices. First-year students will have the opportunity to apply for jobs in Dining Services at Orientation and Registration.

Augustana does not assign or guarantee jobs. Students are encouraged to pursue employment that matches their skills and interests. This allows both the department to find the ideal student employee and the student to find a satisfying work environment.


A campus job helps students develop good work habits, communication skills and time management. It is also an opportunity to network with faculty and administrators and meet other students. Students also may career experience. For example, a biology major may find a job as a lab assistant. The skills of a campus job may be transferable to a position after graduation.

All student employment positions will be paid at the current minimum wage of $8.25. Students can schedule up to 9-10 hours per week based on the student's availability and the needs of the employing office.

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a need-based financial aid program that allows a student to work on campus to earn money for college expenses. Part-time job opportunities are coordinated through the Office of Career Development Office. These jobs also will be listed on Augie Hub.

Non-Federal Work Study employment

Students who do not qualify for Federal Work Study, based on eligibility determined by completion of the FAFSA, have the opportunity to work on campus through general employment. Many non-work study students are hired because they possess a particular skill. Specialized jobs might include lab proctors, graders, or translators.

Non-Federal Work Study students are encouraged to apply for openings in their areas of interest. They will be considered depending on the number of qualified Federal Work Study eligible students available for those positions.

Required forms

Before students can begin to work on campus, they must complete:

  1. Federal I-9 form
  2. Federal W4 form

And show the following documents:

  1. Valid U.S. passport or
  2. Picture ID (school or driver's license), and either an original Social Security card or an original birth certificate.

Students will have the opportunity to complete the I-9 and the W4 at Orientation and Registration. Students who do not have a U.S. passport or driver's license (with accompanying items) at that time will need to take these documents to the Payroll Office in Sorensen Hall when they arrive on campus in the fall. These documents must be on file before a student can begin work on campus.

Student employment and financial assistance

While a student's financial assistance award letter may show eligibility for Federal Work Study, students should not include that dollar figure when budgeting their remaining out-of-pocket costs for the entire academic year. Reasons for this:

  1. A job must be obtained first in order to earn the awarded work study funds. 
  2. Wages are not credited to a student's account in the Business Office. Students will receive a biweekly paycheck which will be sent to their campus mailboxes. Students then will have the option of using the money for personal expenses or applying it to their account for tuition.

Jobs on campus

There are many opportunities to work on campus. Some possibilities include:

  • Residence hall desk assistants, Westerlin and Swanson Commons
  • General office assistant
  • Life-guards at Carver Athletic Center Pool
  • Centennial Hall performance staff
  • Dining Service workers. This includes the dining room in the Center for Student Life and the College Center Snack Bar. The Westerlin Convenient Store and the Brew by the Slough are staffed with students who have been employed by theDining Service for at least six months.
  • Library assistants
  • Information Technology Systems assistants
  • Pepsico intramural assistants
  • Augustana Bookstore workers
  • Facilities-grounds, general student assistant, summer paint crew, etc.

Students who are looking for a specific job should contact the coordinator of student employment and campus internships in the Office of Career Development Office, first floor of the Olin Center.