Creative Writing Workshop
Program dates: June 18-23, 2017
Program cost: $850
Includes lodging, all meals and any field trips. Students arrive on campus Sunday, June 18, and depart Friday, June 23.
There isn't much time to write creatively in high school, so come to Summer Academy and write prose poetry and short stories, movie scripts and plays, and more. Students will try writing exercises to get their creativity flowing and do activities to have new experiences to write about.
Students will have the opportunity to experiment with different forms and genres and by the end of the week will have a notebook of ideas, at least a couple of completed new pieces, as well as lots of fun memories and new friends. No prior experience necessary!
Sunday, June 18
- Welcome reception
Monday, June 19
- How to get ideas and get started — pre-writing activities
- Showing, not telling — writing with detail
- Short walk with stops for writing
- Mid point of walk — stop for Whitey's ice cream, a local treat*
- Visit the special collections of Augustana library to see how books can also be art
Tuesday, June 20
- Writing about art — ecphrasis poetry
- Strategies for thinking and seeing like a writer
- Afternoon in the Figge Museum*, using art for inspiration
Wednesday, June 21
- Writing about place and trying our hand at historical fiction
- Afternoon at Chippiannock Cemetery to practice grave rubbings, learn about the symbols on the graves and gather ideas for characters from another time. There are some famous
criminals and interesting characters in this historic, 160 year old cemetery.
Thursday, June 22
- Writing scripts and plays, creative ways to combine genres
- Watch a movie* and dabble in writing our own movie plot, movie scenes and rewriting endings
- Writing time and time to practice effective revision strategies
- Time to meet individually with instructor about student's writing (optional)
Friday, June 23
- Writing and conferencing time in a local coffee shop*
- Conferencing on writing individually with teacher and with peers
- Students share writing with the class
* Included in course fee