First-year geology major Quintin Powers will be digging for dinosaur fossils this summer. He landed an internship as the National Eagle Scout World Explorer Paleontologist this year.
Physical Geology in the Rocky Mountains itinerary
Introductory Physical Geology in the Rocky Mountains locations, itinerary and details:
Itinerary July 28-August 12, 2018
Rock Island, Illinois
Badlands National Park
Black Hills, South Dakota
Devil's Tower National Monument
Owl Creek Mountains
White River Canyon
- July 28: Students arrive at Augustana College, Fryxell Geology Museum in the Swenson Hall of Geosciences, located near the chapel and admissions buildings, 820 38th St., Rock Island. Use parking lots A1 and A2. There will be an afternoon orientation session with students and their parents, followed by class on campus.
- July 29: Trip departs. Camp in Badlands National Park, South Dakota.
- Jul 30-Aug. 2: Camp in Black Hills, South Dakota. Visit Devils Tower.
- Aug. 3-4: Camp in Bighorn Mountains, Wyoming.
- Aug. 5: Arrive at field station, Bighorn Mountains, Wyoming.
- Aug. 9: Depart field station.
- Aug. 10: Camp in eastern Nebraska.
- Aug. 11: Arrive back at Augustana College, early evening.
- Aug. 12: Course ends upon completion of final project, early afternoon.