Corporate and Foundation Relations
(Augustana Photo Bureau/Michael Dimock '16)
Corporate and Foundation Relations (CFR) is part of the Office of Advancement. It maintains and grows Augustana's relationships and success with external corporate, foundation and government funding sources.
CFR researches, prepares, submits and reports on grant proposals in support of institutional priorities set by the president of the college, board of trustees and cabinet. This means we match the mission and philanthropic goals of external partners with investment in key initiatives at the college. Aligning missions and expectations results in successful partnerships for the donor and the college. Whether the parties involved are interested in creating a pipeline of talent ready to solve complex problems; a more stable and resilient neighborhood; experiential education opportunities; or professional development for faculty, CFR can help articulate needs and make the match.
What CFR does
• Oversees more than 40 requests a year to local, regional, and national sources. The requests vary in scope and award amount ($500 - $2,000,000) and in purpose (capital projects, programming, annual student scholarships, etc.)
• Makes yearly grant submissions to Quad Cities foundations and corporations, in part, to help relay the value Augustana adds to the community.
Services for faculty and administrators
• Research for potential external funding sources for a project, program or piece of equipment. CFR uses online databases, grant announcements and local foundation directories to research potential funders for specific requests. Faculty and staff may contact CFR if a chair, dean or department head has approved the pursuit of external funding for a project or equipment request.
• Notification of grant funding opportunities. CFR forwards grant announcements of interest to the college to the appropriate people.
• Provision of institutional information and documents (update annually in October). These include mission, history, background, significant highlights, budget, financial reports, annual report (e.g., President's report), board of trustees, strategic plan, organizational goals, Five Faith Commitments; federal tax exemption certification (non-profit IRS 501c3), Certificate of Existence (Iowa)/Good Standing (Illinois).
• Proof-reading or editing of proposals to make sure all requested information is provided and assure clarity for a non-expert audience. Advance notice is required.
• Submittal. CFR will copy and assemble/mail proposals, or submit online as appropriate (primarily local/regional)
• Reporting. CFR will compile, edit, or submit reports as appropriate (primarily for local, regional funders)
Wendy Hilton-Morrow, Associate Dean, 309-794-7282. Dr. Hilton-Morrow is the initial contact for faculty pursuing external funding.
Pareena Lawrence, Academic Dean, 309-794-7312. Dr. Lawrence gives approval for all faculty-led grant submissions.
Cindy Descamps, Financial Accounting Director in the Business Office, 390-794-7499, for submission of federal grants and grants accounting.