Real-world advertising in the 21st Century
Instructor: Dr. Nadia Novotorova
Dr. Nadia Novotorova is an assistant professor of business administration with a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. She has worked with Augustana students on marketing and advertising projects for many local businesses, including Bethany for Children & Families, Child Abuse Council, John Deere Fitness Center, Mo Brady’s restaurant, Quad City Arts, Rock Island Consortium, Cool Beanz Coffeehouse and more.
Program dates: June 23-28, 2013
Program cost: $750
Includes lodging, all meals and any field trips. Students arrive on campus Sunday, June 23, and depart Friday, June 28.
In this course, you will be part of a team that builds a strategy and works on a real advertising project for a local business. You will develop your design sense and advertising expertise by watching and critiquing TV commercials, creating your own ads and visiting a local agency to connect with professionals.
Sunday, June 23
- Welcome reception
Monday, June 24
- Introduction anad orientation
- Discussion 1: Advertising Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow. Case-Study: Highlights in the History of Coca-Cola Television Advertising
- Discussion 2: The Economic, Social, and Regulatory Aspects of Advertising, Shock Advertising. Case-Study: Benetton Group
- Project: Develop your own advertising campaign. Visit with the owner of the local company.
- Brainstorming session: Search for ideas/information
Tuesday, June 25
- Advertising in-house vs. Advertising Agency. Case-Study: Gateway: Searching for the Right Advertising Agency
- Creative Strategy and Creative Process. Case-Study: Las Vegas
- Field trip to a local advertising agency
Wednesday, June 26
- Producing Ads for Print, Electronic, and Digital Media. Case-Study: Real California Cheese Building a Brand
- Building Brand Through IMC. Case-Study: Under Armour
Thursday, June 27
- Project Day: Developing an ad campaign for a local company
Friday, June 28
- Project Day: Developing a PowerPoint presentation
- Campaign presentation
|This ad for Cool Beanz Coffeehouse by a Summer Academy student.|