Head Athletic Trainer/Instructor
Status: Exempt Full-time, 10 month position
Reports To: Director of Athletics
Supervises: Assistant Athletic Trainers
Student Athletic Trainers
Leased Athletic Training staff
Overview: Provides leadership in the area of the Athletic Training for the College. Plans, oversees, executes and evaluates a comprehensive offering of services to meet the diverse needs of the College's student athletes and coaches. Acts as a liaison to outside medical professionals, parents and other interested parties.
- Coordinates needs of all athletic teams to provide prevention, evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of athletic-related injuries and illnesses to all student-athletes.
- Provide supervision of the Assistant Athletic Trainers, leased athletic trainers and student athletic training staff. Ensures that all staff members are following college guidelines regarding standard of care and meeting the needs of those serviced in a timely basis. Provides on-going feedback to maximize staff efficiency and effectiveness.
- Manages the budget for the athletic training area. Creates and submits a budget on a yearly basis and monitors expenses to minimize budget variances. Coordinates purchases of all athletic training equipment and supplies.
- Coordinates event and practice coverage with the athletic training staff and the student athletic training staff, providing daily instruction and specific work assignments relating to pre-practice, practice, post-practice and athletic team competition needs for all sports.
- Coordinates and promotes a communication network for student-athletes, parents, coaches and medical personnel working with the established guidelines of the health care profession and medical community.
- Coordinates prevention, care, rehabilitation and evaluation of all athletic-related injuries and illnesses during practices and athletic competition, utilizing all the resources within the College and community.
- Coordinates the development of rehabilitation and treatment programs for specific injuries and illnesses for short-term and long-term care.
- Provide instruction in physical education or athletic training courses as assigned.
- Supervises and assists with maintaining appropriate Occupational and Safety, Health Administration guidelines, maintaining a clean, healthy and safe work place.
- Other duties as assigned
Master's degree required. Certification by the National Athletic Trainers Association Board of Certification, licensed as a Certified Athletic Trainer by the State of Illinois or eligible to become
Skills & Experience:
- 10+ years of athletic training. Experience within an NCAA Division III institution is preferred.
- Ability to supervise and lead a professional and student staff to create excellent work outcomes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Basic understanding of budgeting and financial principles.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of student athletes, coaches, parents, and campus community.
- Well versed in many athletic training principles and techniques and able to adapt to a variety of athletic and sport situations.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 25 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, read, write, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Must be able to use a computer to accomplish a variety of job tasks.
This position requires frequent long work days, evening and weekend work, and limited time off during assigned sports seasons. Work may be required in extreme weather conditions.
Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com no later than December 18, 2012. Resume review will begin immediately.