Bookstore, Mail & Copy Center Manager
Reports To: Vice President of Finance & Administration
- Bookstore Associates
- Copy Center and Bulk Mail Room
- Student Workers
Overview: The Bookstore Manager is responsible for overseeing bookstore operations for the college and ensuring the service and offerings meet the needs of the diverse student base and faculty members while ensuring maximum profitability. Oversees the staffing and operation of the bulk mail and copy centers.
- Creates a plan on a yearly basis to meet college goals regarding service and revenue for the bookstore and manages staff to achieve these goals.
- Creates a plan to meet the book ordering and fulfillment needs for a varied faculty base. Communicates proactively to ensure that textbooks and/or other classroom materials are available to support student learning outcomes in a cost-efficient manner.
- Orders, inventories, displays and sells a wide variety of clothing and other merchandise to support the college brand and meet the demands of students, employees, alumni and others interested in Augustana branded merchandise.
- Develops and oversees the bookstore budget, including monthly GL account reports.
- Works with receiving staff to manage incoming and outgoing merchandise deliveries in a time efficient manner.
- Works with vendors and others to coordinate book buy-backs and other events to meet student needs.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with constituents including: students, faculty, staff, alumni, athletics and visitors to ensure customer satisfaction with store services and products. Works with customer base to resolve complaints and issues as needed.
- Oversees the work products and outcomes of employees in the bookstore, bulk mail area and copy center. Sets goals, provides performance feedback both positive and negative, and creates plans to maximize productivity of assigned staff members.
- Works with Advancement, Admissions, and other high-volume users to determine best strategies to meet the copy and mailing needs of the campus.
- Works on campus-wide initiatives such as graduation committee and other task forces to represent the bookstore and other assigned areas as needed.
- Oversees Copy Center and Bulk Mail Room
- Other duties as assigned
4-year degree in business, management or a related field
5-7 years of retail management and leadership experience. Experience in a higher education setting is greatly preferred.
Skills & Experience:
- Well-rounded knowledge of the textbook process, general merchandise, web sales and related technologies as well as demonstrated experience in the principles, practices and methods of retail sales.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office products and inventory management software.
- Service orientation and the ability to work with a diverse population of students, faculty members, employees, alumni and visitors.
- Strong management skills with the ability to develop employees and provide constructive feedback.
- Ability to organize, analyze, and manage multiple priorities
- Strong visual skills and the ability to merchandise effectively. Demonstrate an understanding of the overall picture of successful retail operations, merchandising and a means to plan for future revenue options in response to a changing market;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate, analyze, organize and plan with proven administrative abilities;
- Excellent written & verbal skills.
Physical requirements: Must be able to lift 50 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, read, write, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Must be able to use a computer to accomplish a variety of job tasks.
Special requirements: This position involves occasional evening and weekend hours. The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check as well as a satisfactory credit check.
Application instructions: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to email@example.com no later than Friday, January 4, 2013. Resume review will begin immediately. Augustana is an equal opportunity employer.
Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.