Director of Annual Giving
Status: Exempt 12 month schedule
Reports To: Associate VP for Development
- Assistant Director of Annual Giving
- Annual Giving Assistant
Overview: The Director of Annual Giving is responsible for developing and implementing annual programs to raise funds and acquire and retain donors for the Augustana Fund and other strategic priorities primarily through direct mail, phone, and web-based appeals. The Director is also responsible for managing a prospect portfolio and managing the Augustana Fund Leaders program as well as working with volunteers.
- Plans, implements, measures and evaluates annual programs to raise funds and acquire and retain donors for the Augustana Fund. Uses direct mail, phone and web based appeals in order to meet or exceed annual goals. Creates reports to update leaders on progress towards fundraising goals.
- Manages the Augustana Fund Leaders program. Creates a plan and makes changes as necessary to meet or exceed annual goals.
- Manages a portfolio of approximately 125 prospects. Identifies, qualifies, cultivates, solicits and engages those in the assigned portfolio to meet or exceed assigned revenue targets. Utilizes face to face visits and other contacts to develop and enhance relationships with prospects and move to higher levels of engagement and giving.
- Travels to meet with portfolio prospects in cost and time efficient manner to maximize outreach efforts.
- Works with volunteers, including class representatives and members of the Alumni Board employing strong communication and rapport building skills to create long term relationships.
- Creates and coordinates print and web-based messaging to highlight the value of The Augustana Fund as well as support overall stewardship efforts. Searches for high-impact communication vehicles to increase donor and potential donor connection to Augustana.
- Participates in alumni and campus events such as Homecoming, Family Weekend, Alumni Weekend, Presidents Society gatherings and other key events as needed. Assist other members of the Advancement team in making these events highly successful.
- Collaborates and works with the members of the Advancement team to achieve overall campus goals. Meet regularly to implement and track results of giving programs. Assist in preparation of materials for the fall and spring Alumni Board meetings, Board of Trustees reports and other college-wide events as needed.
- Attends conferences, workshops and seminars to continually develop professional skills. Share these new ideas and concepts with others in the department to benefit the college's fundraising efforts.
- Supervises the work products and outcomes of the Assistant Director of Annual Giving, Administrative Assistants as well as student employees. Communicates College and department expectations, provides constructive feedback, and address performance issues both good and bad as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned
B.A. in Business, Communications, or a related field.
Experience: 3-5 years of demonstrated success in fundraising, development, sales or a related field.
Skills & Abilities: Excellent communication skills with a diverse audience including colleagues, alumni, current and potential donors and members of the campus community. Ability to work independently with little direction. Ability to create and execute an annual giving plan with minimal administrative support or resources.
Travel: This position requires frequent off-campus work and out of town travel to represent the College at relevant events and meetings, as well as to visit current and prospective donors. 15-20% travel estimated at 40-50 nights per year, by car and air.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 25 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Must possess or be able to acquire a valid driver's license.
Special Requirements: As key personnel representing the College to the community, this position requires excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to relate to a diverse audience, and the ability and willingness to model the mission and high standard of behavior of Augustana College. All prospective employees must pass a criminal background check.
Note: This job description is subject to change and is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required by the employee.
Augustana is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter including salary requirements and resume to email@example.com no later than October 15, 2012.