Augustana receives planning grant to pursue renovations to athletic facilities
January 11, 2012
Thanks to the leadership of Ken Anderson, Augustana Class of 1971 and former Cincinnati Bengals quarterback, and the generosity of the Austin E. Knowlton Foundation, Augustana College is announcing it will partner with Hastings and Chivetta, an architecture firm based in St. Louis, to begin planning a major renovation and new construction project at the college's football field and physical education building. Tentative plans include stadium and locker room improvements, all-weather turf, and the addition of team meeting rooms.
According to President of the College Steven C. Bahls, Augustana received an initial $100,000 planning grant from the Cincinnati-based foundation, and looks forward to working with Hastings and Chivetta, one of the nation's leading firms in the design of collegiate athletic environments.
The Knowlton Foundation was established by Ohio businessman and philanthropist Austin E. Knowlton, who funded it throughout his lifetime and through a provision in his will. Previous gifts from the foundation to Augustana include Knowlton's Ohio and Colorado homes, which were sold to fund the Austin E. Knowlton Memorial Scholarship and the Austin E. Knowlton Honors Program.
President Bahls explained that the most recent gift supports the college's Five-year Capital Improvement Plan. "Because Augustana emphasizes the student experience and student-athletes, we aspire to provide both quality academic and athletic facilities," he said.
"The Knowlton Foundation has challenged the college to prepare plans for top-notch Division III football facilities. Our goal is to upgrade facilities to better match the quality of our athletics program and the overall Augustana experience," Bahls said. "We're indebted to the Knowlton Foundation for their help in accomplishing our objectives."
To oversee the planning, a committee has been appointed by President Bahls. Along with Anderson, the committee includes:
- Dr. Dave Markward '71, former teammate of Anderson's, a part-time instructor at the college, retired superintendent of the Cedar Rapids Community School District
- Charles D. Lindberg '50, Knowlton Foundation trustee and member of the Augustana College Board of Trustees
- Eric Lindberg, Knowlton Foundation trustee
- Doug Hultquist '77, former chairman of the Augustana College Board of Trustees and president and CEO of QCR Holdings
- Paul Pearson '74, vice president of business and finance
- W. Kent Barnds, vice president of enrollment, communication and planning