To ensure that the campus community is informed of situations which could affect personal safety or property, the college uses two methods of notification:
1. For urgent, ongoing situations which have the potential to pose an immediate threat, Augustana has installed an outdoor siren which is networked to a series of ancillary "booster" sirens distributed across campus.
Activation of the siren is intended to alert the community to refer to other sources of detailed information regarding the event. To expedite alerts, Augustana uses a combination of text messaging and email alerts. Subscription to this alerts service is free and voluntary and can be accessed at e2campus.
2. To provide timely information regarding criminal activity or harassment reported to have occurred either on campus or in the immediate vicinity of the campus, Augustana employs a multi-level plan. This includes:
- Campus Incident Reports emailed to the entire campus.
- Eight bright yellow security boards, one in each of the five residence major residence halls, along with boards in three academic areas, to inform the campus on a daily basis about security issues.
- Alert information on the Office of Public Safety's web page.
The college makes every effort to post incident information within 24 hours of its occurrence,. These messages typically include location, time, and a brief summary of what has occurred.