Science Building fast facts
Dedicated: October 31, 1998
Named: August 2, 2010, the Robert A. and Patricia K. Hanson Hall of Science, including the Lisa A. Wood Lecture Hall Wing (south). Earlier, the north wing was named the Erick O. Schonstedt Laboratory Wing and the center office area was named the Wallberg Faculty Complex.
Size: Largest academic building at 114,000 square-feet and serves nearly 680 students in 17 majors, minors and concentrations
Number of classrooms: Seven
Number of labs: 35 (including cadaver lab)
Scientific equipment: 400 MHz liquid-and solid-state NMR (nuclear magnetic resonance) spectrometer, scanning electron microscope, instrumentation for X-ray powder crystallography and a fully-functioning 40-foot greenhouse
Cost: $22 million in 1998
Funded by: Grants and gifts, no tuition money was used
Majors and Areas of Study: biology, biochemistry, chemistry, physics, pre-health professions (nursing, dental, medicine, optometry, veterinary medicine, occupational therapy, pharmacy), neuroscience, engineering, engineer physics, environmental studies.
- Augustana ranks among the top 60 U.S. liberal arts colleges in the sciences, based on the number of graduates earning Ph.D.s.
- Student placement rates in post-graduate programs:
70% for medical and dental over last 5 years, compared to 47% nationwide
100% for chemistry, occupational therapy and physical therapy
82% veterinary medicine
- Guaranteed and early acceptance agreements for dental students with Southern Illinois University and University of Iowa
- Guaranteed and early acceptance agreements for veterinarian students with the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine
- Coordinated degree programs with top ABET (accreditation board for engineering and technology) accredited engineering schools at the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign), Purdue University, Washington University (St. Louis), Iowa State University, University of Iowa and University of Minnesota. Students earn a bachelor of arts degree from Augustana and a bachelor of science degree in engineering from partnering school
- Augustana owns and uses three environmental field stations comprising more than 600 acres, providing students and faculty the opportunity to test theory through direct observation and research.
Director of Public Relations