Important Academic Policies
Course Load and Overloads
• Tuition covers 24-33 credits per year (not including summer); overload charges apply for each credit over 33.
If a student only completes one or two terms, the tuition covers only 11 or 22 credits, respectively. For example, if a student takes 24 credits in the first two terms, then drops out, s/he will be charged an overload.
• If a student drops a course during weeks 1-5 (without a "W" on transcript), these dropped credits will not count toward credit overload.
• If a student drops a course during weeks 6 and 7 (with a "W), however, these credits will count towards a credit overload.
• An overload costs approximately $1400 per credit, so students need to be careful to avoid these unless they are planned (please see the Schedule of Student Charges for the current academic year for exact overload fees.)
• Students are considered fulltime when they take 8 credits per term. Falling below 8 credits will impact NCAA and financial aid eligibility.
• Students need at least 123 credits to graduate (some programs may require more).
- At least 60 credits must be earned at Augustana
- The last 24 credits applied to the degree must be earned at Augustana
- Students must have at least 40 credits at the 300-400 course level to graduate
- No more than 40 credits may have the same subject code (i.e., BUSN, MUSC, CHEM)
• The school defines "normal progress" to let students know the minimum number of credits they should have at any moment. If a student fails to maintain normal progress, it is a sign that s/he will need to add more credits (summer school, credit overload, etc...) in order to graduate in four years. Normal progress is:
- 27 credits at the completion of the first year (3 terms)
- 59 at the end of the second year (6 terms)
- 91 at the end of the third year (9 terms)
- 123 at the end of four years (12 terms).
• However, a student will not endanger their financial aid until they fall behind the following minimums: 16 credits after 3 terms; 40 after 6; 61 after 9; 88 after 12; 123 after 15.
GPA and Graduation Requirements
• Students must have an overall 2.0 GPA from the college to graduate.
• Students must have a 2.0 GPA in their major to graduate.
• Potential education majors must have at least 3.0 GPA to be accepted into a program, and must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA to stay in a program.
• Scholarships often require a different minimum GPA. The minimums for the most common Augie scholarships are: Founder's, 2.5; Dean's, 2.75; Presidential, 3.0.
• Application for Graduation must be filed with the Office of the Registrar at least one term before the term of graduation. It is highly recommended students do this three terms before graduation for auditing purposes. The application process is completed on Web Advisor (online).
Music and HEPE (physical education) credits
• Music ensembles may be taken for zero credits or .67 credits each. If taken for credit, the ensemble credit counts toward credit overload.
• Music lessons are taken for credit (1, 2, or 3 credits). There is an additional charge for lessons, but music lessons do not count toward an overload.
• Athletes participating in an inter-collegiate sport can take one HEPE credit for that sport. Their second HEPE credit must come from either another sport or a HEPE course.
• A student can apply no more than 3 HEPE credits towards their 123 credit graduation requirement.
If you have further questions, please consult the college catalog, or contact Mike Augspurger (Director of Advising), Liesl Fowler (Registrar), or Margaret Farrar (Associate Dean).