Mary T. Swanson papers, 1970-2000
Size: 8.75 linear ft, 15 boxes
Acquisition: The collection was donated the Swenson Center by David Swanson in 2005.
Access: The collection is open for research. A limited amount of photocopies may be requested via mail.
Processed by: Christina Johansson, 2006
Control num.: SSIRC MSS P:319
Mary Towley Swanson (1939-2004) earned her B.A., M.F.A., M.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Minnesota. During her career she held numerous teaching positions at universities and colleges, including her tenure at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota (1984-2002). Swanson was recognized for her contributions to the undergraduate and graduate program in Art History at St. Thomas. Her scholarship focused on Swedish-American art and artists and she delivered conference papers and published numerous articles on this subject throughout her career. Swanson also curated and produced catalogs for exhibits in both Sweden and the United States.
The collections contain Swanson's professional papers and include biographical information on Swedish-American artists she collected while conducting research at various institutions in the United States and Sweden. The Swedish-American artist, John F. Carlson, is particularly well represented. There is also general information about Swedish-American art and drafts of Swanson's articles she submitted to professional journals. Included is also some professional correspondence relating to grants and other professional activities.
Series I - Biographical notes on Swedish-American artists
Boxes 1-3 contain biographical information and notes on Swedish American artists collected by Mary T. Swanson. The information is organized by the artist's last name. Please note that information collected on each artist ranges from few handwritten notes to lengthy articles.
Box 1, folders 1-
- Ahlm, Gerda, 1869-1946
- Ahlman, Gotthilf, 1888-
- Albinson, Dewey, 1898-1971
- Albinson, Dewey, 1898-1971
- Aldrin, Anders, 1889-1970
- Almini, Peter, 1825-1890
- Anderson, Oscar, 1873-?
- Berger, Frank Wilhelm, 1831-1916
- Bergström, Charles, 1880-
- Bernström, Adolf Viktor, 1845-1907
- Bjäreby, Gunnar
- Blanch, Lucille
- Blombergson, Fredrik, 1826-1900
- Blomberson, Lars Axel, 1841-1879
- Borg, Carl Oscar
- Carlson, Carl Emile, 1861-
- Carlson, Charles Joseph, 1860-
- Carlson, Frank, 1873-
- Carlson, John Emmanuel, 1896-
- Carlson, J.F., 1875-
- Cesare, Oscar, 1883-1948
- Dahlgren, Charles
- Dalstrom, Gustaf, 1893-
- Bengtz, Ture, 1907-
- Duvström, Erik
- Ericson, David B.
- Edström, David, 1873-
- Forsberg, E.A.
- Franzen, August R., 1863-1938
- Fredrikson, V.L.E., 1877-
- Friis, Frederick, 1865-1909
- Fromen, Agnes, 1868-
- Gelhaar, Emil
- Fuhrman, Fredrick (just a note with his name, no dates or other information provided)
- Grafström, Olaf Jonas, 1855-1933
- Haag, Charles, 1867- (for further biographical information see his papers: MSS P:175)
- Hall, Thomas, 1883-
- Hallbeck, Carl Svante, 1826-1897
- Hallberg, Charles, 1855-1940
- Hallberg, Ben (photocopy of image only, no dates or other information)
- Hammargren, Fritz
- Hasselgren, Albinas (photocopy of image only, no dates or other information)
- Heldner, Knute 1877-1952
- Hessler, Gustavus, 1682-1755
- Hesselius, John, 1772-1778
- Higgins, Gus, 1863-1909
- Palmblad, Signe
- Hillbom, Henrik F., 1863-1948
- Hofsten, Hugo von, 1865-1947
- Jacobson, Oscar B., 1882-
- Jansson, Alfred, 1863-1931
- Johnston, Alfred W.
- Johnson, Frans, 1829- (only place of birth is provided on this artist)
- Johnson, Raymond, 1891-1982
- Kaeselau, Charles, 1882-
- Krans, Olof, 1838-1916
- Lagergrantz, Ava (Hedvig Gustava)
- Larson, Signe E., 1908-
- Lindin, Carl, 1869-1942
- Lindquist, Arthur, 1889-1975
- Linus, Axel, 1885-
- Lovtave, Carl, 1872-1924
- Lundgren, Martin, 1871-
- Lundahl, Frank, 1858-
- Lundmark, Leon, 1875-
- Lungren, Frank, 1859-1932
- Malm, G.N., 1869-1928
- Nelson, Carl, 1898-1988
- Nilsson, Carl J, 1867-
- Nordmark, Ollo, 1890-
- Ongman, Lawrence
- Nyholm, Arvid, 1866-1927
- Olson, J. Olof, 1894-
- Peterson, Erik Christopher (Henry), 1841-1918
- Peterson, Mary C.
- Pohl, Lydia D., 1881-1946
- Remdahl, Fred
- Reuterdahl, Henry, 1871-1925
- Ringius, Carl, 1879-1936
- Roos, Peter, 1880-1919
- Roos, Oscar (1877-1952) and family
- Rosenberg, Ralph
- Ryden, Henning, 1869-1938
- Sallander, Sigrid
- Sallman, Warner, 1892-
- Sandzen, Birger, 1871-1954
- Sandzen, Birger, 1871-1954 (part 2)
- Sederberg, Alfred, 1830-1877
- Selllstedt, Lars Gustaf, 1819-1911
- Södersten, Herman, 1862-
- Södervall, J.F.C., 1869-
- Staf, Axel Herman, 1869-
- Stopendaal, Wilhelm Johan Henrik, 1846-1906
- Shomberg, Carl E., 1871-
- Storm, Anna Alfrida, 1896-
- Svedin, Per Ersson, 1830-1911
- Sundin, Herr, 1852-
- Thulstorp, Thure, 1848-1913
- Torgerson, Axel W., 1833-1890
- Schneidau, Christian von, 1893-
- Saltza, Carl Fredrik von, 1858-
- Wikstrom, Bror Anders, 1854-1909
- Viker, Agda Strömblom, 1883-
- Wallin, Carl E., 1879-
- Wedin, Elof, 1901-
- Westmuller, Adolph Ulrich, 1751-1811
- Westerlind, Axel (photocopy of image only, no dates or other information)
- Widfors, Gunnar, 1879-1934
- Zanton, Harry Vitalis, 1901-
- Zoir, Carl Emil, 1861-1936
Series II - John F. Carlson research
This series contain information Swanson collected for her research on the Swedish American artist John F. Carlson.
- Project resources and correspondence
- Correspondence relating to the research project
- Biographical sketch of John F. Carlson
- Essay on John F. Carlson copyrighted 2000, and several drafts from the 1990s.
- John F. Carlson manuscripts and letters to various editors regarding possible publication of the mss (mid 1980s)
- John F. Carlson manuscript draft and research notes (pages missing)
- John F. Carlson manuscript draft and research notes
John F. Carlson - biographical notes and family history material.
- Articles about John F. Carlson
- Exhibitions relating to John F. Carlson.
- Reviews from shows - handwritten notes by Mary Swanson
- Listing of John F. Carlson's paintings
- Slides of John F. Carlson's paintings
- B&W photographs of John F. Carlson's paintings
- B&W photographs of John F. Carlson's paintings, part 2
- Photocopies of John F. Carlson's paintings from various museums in the US
Series III - Swanson's manuscripts
Drafts of manuscripts written by Swanson throughout her career and as a student (some untitled), but organized by individuals last name or subject/s.
- Albinson, Dewey, 1898-1971
- Carlson, John F., 1875-
- Carlson, John F. mss entitled: The Elusive Images of Home and John F. Carlson. The American Landscapes with a Swedish Accent.
- Carlson, John F. mss entitled: John F. Carlson, Swedish American Painter (Swedish American Historical Quarterly )
- Colling, Fritiof, 1863-1944
- Colling, Fritiof, 1863-1944 with many handwritten notes
- Ethnicity in Finnish Textile Arts and Finnish Fiber & Ethnicity
- Femme Fatale: Sources for the Image of the Femme Fatale in the work of Edward Munch.
- Mattson, Henry
- Nordfeldt, B.J.O: The Immigrant Molds the Image: The Life of B.J.O Nordfeldt
- Nordfeldt, B.J.O (two untitled manuscripts)
- Sprinchorn, Carl
- Tenggren, Gustaf
- Quirt, Walter
- Scandinavian American Art
- Old articles-misc.
- Ideas for new projects/manuscripts
Series IV - Swedish-American and Scandinavian art-General
This series contain general information on Scandinavian and Swedish-American art as well as artists. The information and research was compiled from trips to various archives in United States and Sweden.
- Swedish American artists-general
- Swedish American art-resources, institutions, etc.
- Swedish American art-reviews
- Swedish American painting within the context of American cultural history, 1880-1920
- Swedish American bibliography (art-handwritten notes)
- Swedish American art illustrations from various Swedish American denominations
- Copies of the Salmagundi Clubs (New York City) annual exhibition catalogs 1922, 1932, 1933, 1937, 1939, 1940
- Copies of articles covering the Macbeth Gallery (New York City) and handwritten notes
- Art exhibitions at the American Swedish Historical Museum in Philadelphia.
- Worcester Art Museum
- Scandinavian American artists - exhibits, general
- Scandinavian American artists - articles and research
- Swedish American art patrons - articles
- Swedish American art patrons - clippings, etc.
- Catalogue entitled: An Exhibition of Works by Swedish-American Artists, April 27 - May 11, 1913.
- Swedish immigrant artists - biographies and outlines 19th century.
- Swedish American Art in Ungdomsvännen, Prärieblomman, Valkyrian (name index)
- American Painters of Swedish descent - Exhibits 1920-1930s
- Swedish American Artists - Examples of sales
- Richard Hillström's Swedish American art collection
- Landscape painting in Northern Europe and North America, 1890-1940
- Swedish Clubs, Illinois - hand written notes
- Swedish American art - Chicago
- Swedish American art - Chicago, part 2
- Swedish American artists in Chicago
- Swedish American artists in Chicago, part 2
- Swedish American artists and collections in the Twin Cities
- Painters at the American Swedish Institute, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Biographical notes on Swedish American artists in Minnesota
- Catalog records of Swedish American art in Minnesota
- Pictures from a New Home: Minnesota's Swedish-American artists
- Swedish American art - Minnesota, draft of mss.
- Swedish American artists - listings of names compiled in 1988
- Altar paintings - research and correspondence
- Notes from research at the Swenson Center, Augustana College
- Research at Riksföreningen Sverigekontakt, 1996-1997
- Swedish American art - Smålands museum
- Swedish American artists - proposed project
- Various articles
- Various articles on American landscape paintings and painters
- Art bibliography
Series V - Professional papers
The information in this series pertains to grants and scholarships, trips and other professional activities Swanson participated in.
- Correspondence (1995-97) concerning the exhibit "Måleriet och fäderneslandet - om konst av svenska immigranter i USA."
- Professional correspondence, misc.
- Trips, tours etc.
- Nordfelt fellowship 1986
- Summer research assistance grant 1999
- Grant application (2000) entitled: "The impact of ethnicity on accultural and career success of Swedish immigrant artists"
- Minnesota Historical Society - Guest Curator 1995-1996
- Personal papers - resume
Series VI - Photographs of art in Swanson's publications, etc.
This series contains copies of photographs and slides Swanson used in her publications.
Assorted slides and photographic duplications of Swedish-American art.