The first sorority on
In 1908, tennis club members decided to form a social sorority
under the new name Sigma Pi Delta, nicknamed 'Speeds,' in reference to their
agility on the tennis courts."
Sigma Pi Delta was the first
sorority on Augustana's campus, recognized in 1909.
Throughout the years, the Speeds showed
leadership and dedication on campus. In 1970, members chose to give up their
charter in response to the Vietnam War and numerous protests. With help from
Dean Betsy Brodahl, the college reinstated the
Sigma Pi Delta Charter in 1980.
Sigma Pi Delta Centennial:
In the spring of 2008, we celebrated our 100th anniversary.
Active members and Alumni celebrated the special occasion with dinner,
laughter, and stories.
We strive to continue our history and
traditions into the next one hundred years and beyond.
The founding sisters of
Sigma Pi Delta