Member in Training (MIT) Information
What is required to be eligible to be a member of SAI at Augustana College?
To become a member of Sigma Alpha Iota, you must have:
- at least 2 terms completed at Augustana College.
- a full-time student course-load.
- be enrolled in or completed one or more courses in music.
- a minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA.
How much will joining SAI cost?
The total cost is $300, divided into two installments:
- $50 fee due at pinning.
- $200 due at time of membership test.
But that's a lot of money...
Yes, it is a financial commitment, but not all the money is due at the same time. The first installment of $50 is due after informal and formal rush at the time of pinning. The second installment is due when the national membership exam is taken, which is about five weeks after pinning (when the first installment is due). If there are more financial concerns the chapter is willing to work out payment plans to fit other needs.
What will I do as a MIT?
You will be able to:
- attend weekly MIT meetings
- attend at least 2 regular chapter meetings
- perform for the chapter
- complete a service project as a MIT class
- complete a fraternity education project as a MIT class
- conduct MIT dates with all active members
- learn the history, purposes, and statistics of SAI
- take the membership exam
- most importantly, HAVE FUN!!
That sounds like a lot...How much of my time is this going to take?
We want you to be committed, but we don't want you to give up everything else in your life. Keep your priorities straight, and there should be plenty of time for everything.
But I don't like performing in front of people...
Don't worry, it makes most people nervous. We intend to support each other in our musical interests and efforts. MIT classes often choose to put on a MIT recital, which is a low-key, relaxing way to do meet this requirement. We encourage duets, trios, etc. It doesn't have to be on your primary instrument, either. Have a good time and be creative!
What are the dues I must pay as an active member?
The dues for actives are $100.00 once per year, or a payment plan of $40/$40/$20 across all three terms. This includes national and local dues.
After I'm initiated, what do I have to do to remain an active member of SAI?
Active members are expected to:
- pay dues each term
- attend weekly chapter meetings
- perform at least once a year at public musicales or formal chapter meetings
- serve on a committee
- help in fundraising and service projects actively and regularly
- uphold voting privileges
- support other members in their musical and scholastic endeavors