Changing Your Password
- How to change your email password
- Log into your email
- Click on your username at the top right corner of the window
- Choose Account
- Choose Security
- Click Change password
- Fill out the form and click Change password
- How to change your network and Arches (formerly WebAdvisor) password when logging into a campus computer (only works on PCs - Macs should use the next technique)
Note: You may want to write down the following instructions because you won't be able to see them when you are in the process.
- Press ctrl + alt + delete on your keybord (at the same time)
- Press Change a password...
- Fill out the form and press enter on your keyboard
To change your network, Arches (formerly WebAdvisor), and Moodle password click the Change Your Password link near the top right corner of the Arches main page or the Change Your Password link in the Moodle navigation pane.
If you are off campus and need to have your password changed contact the helpdesk @ (309)794-7293 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Passwords are used to control access to Augustana College systems, networks, applications, accounts, and data. A compromised password puts a user's email and files at risk, and may expose sensitive or confidential personal information residing on College information systems. All users are responsible for taking the appropriate steps to select and secure their passwords.
ITS will require password changes across campus [Faculty, Staff, Administrators and Students] at the beginning of every term. Below are the guidelines for the Password Policy for Augustana College.
Network Password Requirements:
- Student network password will be required to have a minimum of 8 characters
- Employee network passwords will be required to have a minimum of 8 characters and 3 of the 4 following requirements must be fulled by at least 1 character in the password:
- Alphabetical characters (i.e. a, b, c, etc.)
- Numerical characters (i.e. 1, 2, 3, etc.)
- A change in case (i.e. at least one capital and at least one lower case letter)
- Symbol (i.e. @, #, $, etc.)
- The password history will be set to 3 passwords. This means that you cannot use one of your last three passwords when changing your password.
- Passwords can be changed once every two days.
- Google Apps passwords do not expire.
- Student passwords do not expire.
- Most campus accounts will be locked out after 10 failed password attempts. Certain departments (ITS, Business Office, and Financial Aid) will be locked out after only 4 failed attempts. If your account is locked:
- ...and you are a student or employee (not in ITS, the Business Office, or Financial Aid), wait 15 minutes and your account should be unlocked.
- ...and you are an employee of ITS, the Business Office, or Financial Aid, wait 20 minutes and your account should be unlocked.
Note: Feel free to contact ITS if your account has been locked out. Unlike password changes, you are not required to stop by in person with your ide for us to unlock your account.
- Most faculty and staff network passwords expire every 180 days except for those that work in the following departments: ITS, Business Office, and Financial Aid, which expire every 30 days.
Note: We ask faculty that will be going on foreign term to change their passwords before they leave so they are in the clear until they get back to campus.
- Users who are locked out due to an expired password will need to go to the helpdesk with a photo ID to get their accounts reactivated.
- Students on a foreign who need a password change will need to have a professor email the helpdesk to request the password be reset. Students will then be prompted to change their password on their next login.
- Non-returning student accounts are disabled on day 10 of next academic trimester.
- Graduated student accounts are rolled over to alumni status on June 30th. Graduated students email accounts are not deleted.
- Employee accounts are disabled on the last day of employment except for Faculty. Helpdesk will contact the Academic Affairs office after the academic year and work with them to get a list of the non-returning part time and adjunct faculty members. We would end their active directory and email accounts no later than July 31. The only exeptions to this are Faculty with emeritus status.
Systems that will be affected by the network password change are:
- Intranet web access (logging into campus computers)
- Arches (formerly WebAdvisor)
Note: If a program you are using requires a password and is not listed above we strongly advise you to make sure the user passwords for these systems are changed every 180 days.