Cable TV Analogue to Digital Transition
Mediacom has begun its transition to full digital channels. This may have an effect on your TV, VCR, or TiVo. Those with TVs that were manufactured after March 1st 2007 - or TVs manufactured with a digital tuner before that date - will be able to view the digital channels without a problem (if your TV was manufactured after March 1st 2007 or after and you cannot find your channels see the FAQ answer below).
Note: Some of the links on this page will bring you to the Mediacom website and away from the Augustana website.
What will I need to do in order to watch cable on campus?
If your TV has a digital tuner, all you will need to do is reprogram it to search for new channels. If your TV does not have a digital tuner, you can buy a new TV or pick up a converter box in Residential Life (located on the first floor of Andreen Hall).
Will the digital tuner that I bought during the Broadcast Digital transition help me to view cable on my older TV?
Maybe. Some digital adapters sold during the previous transition will work to view cable, but others will NOT. For the official Mediacom answer, view the Mediacom Digital Upgrade FAQ (click on "I already bought a digital adapter during the digital transition" under Digital Equipment).
I know that my TV has a digital tuner (i.e. it was manufactured after March 1st 2007), but I am still having trouble finding the new digital channels. What can I do?
As explained in an answer above, you should be able to connect to the new digital channels if your TV has a digital tuner. The digital channels have new numbers so you will need to reprogram your TV so that it can find them. Please click here to go to Mediacom's new Channel line up (this will bring you away from the Augustana website).
Where can I find official information from Mediacom?
For answers to more questions (including those in the list below), please go to the official Mediacom Digital Upgrade FAQ and click on the question to read the answer.
- What is the all-digital conversion?
- What is the difference between the Broadcast Digital Transition we just went through and this new all-digital conversion?
- What does this mean to Mediacom customers? (explains why they are changing and the benefits of changing)
- What happens if I don't upgrade
- How do I know if my TV has a digital tuner?
- I already bought a digital adapter during the digital transition (What digital adapters will work for the digital conversion?)
- How do I find an updated channel lineup?