Java SE Runtime Environment 7
It has come to the attention of Augustana ITS that there are some vulnerablities in JAVA versions 7-7.10. To make sure that you download the correct version for your computer, we have uploaded the install files to our servers. To protect your computer please download and install the newest update to JAVA from the links below:
Windows (30,736 KB ): Click here, download the file to your computer, and run the installer.
For more information about the security threat, please take a look at the information below:
- The ITS Technowledge blog entry (link) written by our programmer Jesse Jaeger.
- An article (link) released January 10, 2013 by the United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT.gov)
- Release notes from Oracle can be found here and the official Oracle download link can be found on this page.
To Disable JAVA:
- An article (link) from Cult of Mac (cultofmac.com) provides instructions for how to disable JAVA on Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.
- Krebson Security (krebsonsecurity.com) has provided an easy guide (link) for how to disable JAVA on a PC.
*If you have a previous version of the Mac OS X operating system, you should disable JAVA (only exceptions are if you need JAVA to do your job). Keep in mind that if you do not disable or update JAVA, your computer will be vulnerable to attacks.