Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church of Elkhart, Indiana building collection, 1942-1954
1.5 linear feet (2 boxes)
|Creators:||Holm, Reverend Raymond C. (1911-1991)|
The collection is open for research onsite. A limited amount of photocopies may be requested via mail.
|Subject Headings:||Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church (Elkhart, Ind.)
Augustana Book Concern (Rock Island, Ill. : 1903-1962)
Church architecture--United States
Lisa Huntsha, 2013
Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center
639 38th Street
Rock Island, IL 61201
Donated by Diane Erickson the "church historian" of the Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church of Elkhart, Indiana, via Liz Haeuptle the Curator of Collections at the Elkhart County Historical Museum.
Raymond Carl Holm was born on March 24, 1911 in Chesterton, Indiana to Charles Emil and Mathilda (Samuelson) Holm. He attended Valparaiso University where he received his BA in 1934, then Augustana Seminary for his BD (Bachelor of Divinity) in 1938. He was ordained on June 26, 1938 in Brooklyn, New York.
After serving in South Dakota, Rev. Holm came to the Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church in Elkhart, Indiana in 1940. The church was slated to move because the current location was purchased and allotted for a school property. Fundraising for the construction of a new church at 1133 Kilbourn Street began in 1942 and lasted until 1950. By 1944, plans were drafted by architect Adolph A. Hanson of Chicago and by this time the church had raised $29,000 for the new construction. The groundbreaking ceremony took place on April 2, 1950 (see plate 13). The first service held in the new church was on January 26, 1950.
Rev. Holm remained at the Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church until 1955, before moving on to Iowa, South Dakota and Kentucky.
He married Helen Irene Edquist in 1938 and they had two children, Phyllis and Hubert.
This collection contains 5 glass slides and 13 printing plates (printing blocks and photoengraved plates) depicting the plans, construction, and funding campaign of the new building of the Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church in Elkhart, Indiana. The Augustana Book Concern produced these plates and slides in May of 1954 and shipped them to Rev. Holm. Also included in the collection is the Augustana Book Concern mailing label sticker addressed to Rev. Holm, stamp from this mailing, and note to Rev. Holm.
Many of the objects from this collection can be viewed online in our PastPerfect Online Database by clicking the link and keyword searching "Augustana Evang. Lutheran Church of Elkhart, Indiana building collection" (with the quotes).
1. Church plans: plot plan of church by Adolph A. Hanson and A. Einer Olson and Associates Ecclesiastical Architecture, Chicago, IL. (Glass slide - Broken)
2. Church plans: Second floor plot plan (Glass slide)
3. Church plans: Floor plan with elevation (Glass slide)
4. Church plans: Ground floor plan (Glass slide)
5. Church plans: Basement floor plan (Glass slide)
6. Outdoor view of the church from the corner of Kilbourn and Pleasant Street (Photoengraved plate not attached to wood block)
7. Outdoor view of the church (Photoengraved plate not attached to wood block)
8. Outdoor view of the church (Photoengraved plate)
9. Church plan: Second floor plot plan (also see object 2) (Printing block)
10. Church plan: Floor plan with elevation (also see object 3) (Printing block)
11. Church plan: Basement floor plan (also see object 5) (Printing block)
12. Outdoor view of the church from the corner of Kilbourn and Pleasant Street (same as object 6, but attached to a wood block)
13. People with Rev. Holm outdoors at groundbreaking (Photoengraved plate)
14. Photograph of Pastor, Mrs. Holm and children Phyllis and Hubert (Photoengraved plate)
15. Outdoor view of the church (Photoengraved plate)
16. Outdoor view of the church from the back (Photoengraved plate)
17. Fundraising chart (Printing block)
18. Outdoor view of the church (Photoengraved plate)
· Letter to Rev. Holm
· Mailing address sticker from Augustana Book Concern
· Stamp from box mailed to Rev. Holm
When citing this collection, use the following credit line: Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church of Elkhart, Indiana building collection, 1942-1954 (I/O:64), Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center, Augustana College, Rock Island, Illinois