The American Scandinavian Association at Augustana, Rock Island, Illinois, USA
The ASA was founded in 1934 by a group of Scandinavians living in the Quad City area. We are an Associate Chapter of the American Scandinavian Foundation, headquartered in New York. The ASA aims are:
- to stimulate and promote interest in relations and culture between America and all five of the Nordic countries
- to preserve the Nordic heritage in Western Illinois and Eastern Iowa
- to advance Nordic culture in the U.S. and U.S. culture in the Nordic countries
Some local annual celebrations include:
- Midsommar Fest
- Kräftskiva (Crayfish Party) in August
- Luciafest in association with Augustana's Scandinavian Department
- Pea Soup (Ärtsoppa) and Pancake Supper in January/February
- Lutfisk Dinner in Autumn, usually November (see our listing at Lutfisk Lovers' Lifeline)
- Bus trips to Chicago's Andersonville and IKEA stores
The ASA welcomes new members. Annual Membership fees are $10 per individual, $20 per family.
Membership privileges include:
- Opportunities for participation in ASA activities
- Informational newsletters
- Occasional cooking demonstrations
E-mail us to request a brochure!
Or mail membership payment, checks payable to ASA, to:
639 38th Street
Rock Island IL 61201-2296
Click here and ask to join our Facebook page!