Victor Beck papers, 1910-1960
Size: 1.25 linear feet, 3 boxes
Acquisition: The collection was transferred from the Special Collections in 1987.
Access: The collection is open for research.
Control Num.: SSIRC MSS P:223
Victor Emanuel Beck was born March 30, 1894 in St. James, Minnesota to Alfred C. Beck and Anna Ericson. He received his B.A. from Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, Minnesota in 1914, attended the Maywood Seminary and later Augustana Seminary where he graduated in 1918. He received a M.A. from Yale University in 1921, and he earned his Ph.D. from Boston University. He taught at Ansonia College in Connecticut 1918-1921; Ft. Dodge, Iowa, 1921-1929; and Mankato, Minn. 1929-1940.After a teaching career he served the following churches First Lutheran Church in Worcester 1940-47; Gustavus Adolphus Lutheran Church, New York City 1947-54.Beck was the author six literary works of poetry and prose. He married Eliz. Nelson of Chesterton in 1922 and they had 4 children.
The material includes Beck's own writing ranging from religious essays from his College days, notes from his career as a professor, and as a pastor. The collection also includes subject files on various religious matters and poetry and religious literary texts. See folder inventory below.
1. Family Photographs
2. Photographs and clippings
3. Misc. writings "Philosophy and Religion," "Den praktiska etiken," "Den Kristna etiken," Der Arne Heinrich and the Golden Legend" - a comparison.
4. a. "College papers and others" 1911-1913; n.d.; b. "Fougue; Jeremiah: Present -day infidelity; pastor in parish" 1921; 1923
5. Writings: Notebook "Books of the Bible" 1920s - 1930
6. Notebook - Scrapbook: "Virtues" 1927
7. Writings: Notebook - lectures, notes etc. 1933-1950
8. Writings: Notes and notebooks 1936 and n.d.
1. Book Reviews by Beck in longhand 1920-1930s
2. Lutheran Companion: Luther League Topics, April 18, 1925 - August 14, 1926.Topic manuscripts, correspondence and clippings 1925-1930
3. Lutheran Companion: Meditations for daily devotion. Text manuscripts, correspondence, clippings, 1926-1931
4. Bible Study Quarterly, 1932-1933 2 vols. Correspondence, lesson plans, and manuscripts, 1930-1933
5. "The Swedes on the Delaware. A pageant for Sunday Schools," 1938. Correspondence, manuscript script, stencils, clippings and news bulletins.
Box 3 - Subject files
1. Augustana Book Concern - Translations, William Lengertz and Gabriel Paulin
2. Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church. Iowa Conference. Luther League, Correspondence, Reports, Circulars, Clippings, Programs, 1922-1925.
3. a. L. E. Jones "Pageant of the Pioneers of the Lutheran Augustana Synod" stencil manuscript and correspondence, 1924, 1931; b. "Christian Doctrine or First Year's Dogmatics" stencil and typescript, n.d.
4. a. Mankato Minnesota. Grace Lutheran Church 50th anniversary celebration and publication. Correspondence, book manuscript, clippings, printed program 1937.; b. Augustana Evangelical Lutheran Church. Minnesota Conference. Lutheran Brotherhood. Mankato, Minnesota meeting, 1937, correspondence and clippings
5. a. Poetry collection, Ephemera: correspondence and notes, 1923-1930; b. Gustavus Adolphus College. Alumni Association: correspondence and clippings 1931-1933; c. Fort Dodge, Iowa. Bethlehem Lutheran Church 25th anniversary. Correspondence 1927.
6. Poetry scrapbook: "Christian Herald poem a week" and poems from other sources, 1929-1958.
7. Poetry Society of America. New York City. Correspondence, vita and membership lists, 1951, 1954 and 1959.
8. Prohibition - Correspondence 1914-1915
9. Swedish-American Tercentary Fund, 1938 Fort Dodge, Iowa. Correspondence and promotional materials, 1926-1927
10. Worcester, Mass. Trinity Lutheran Church. Photographs of mortgage burning ceremony, November 1943.