Sigurd L. Anderson papers, 1947-1950
Size: .25 linear feet, 1 box
Acquisition: Donated to Special Collections at Augustana College in 1979 and transferred to the Swenson Center in 1981.
Access: The collection is open for research. A limited amount of copies can be requested via the mail.
Processed by: Marjorie Miller in 1979. Finding aid updated January, 2005 by Christina Johansson.
Control num.: SSIRC MSS P:15
Sigurd L. Anderson was born on October 19, 1904 in Rock Island, Illinois. His father was Carl G. Anderson born in the parish of Alsheda, Jönköpings Län, Sweden and his mother, Christine R. Christens born in Bergen, Norway. Anderson was a graduate of Rock Island High School and attended Augustana College. He followed his father's footsteps and worked within the construction industry and also as an insurance agent for Mercantile Insurance Company of America.
Anderson served as the chairman of the Independent Order of Svithiod in Moline, as president of the Swedish American Fraternal Association of the Quad Cities, and secretary for the Swedish Pioneer Centennial Association, Tri-City Area Chapter. Furthermore, he was a member of the Executive Board of the Pioneer Centennial, the American Scandinavian Foundation organized at Augustana College, and the Salem Lutheran Church, Moline, Illinois.
The collection contains records from the Tri-City Area Chapter, a local planning committee for the Swedish Pioneer Centennial in 1948.
Included are the committee minutes and financial reports March 25, 1946- January 15, 1949, the newsletters published by the committee vol. 2-3, newspaper clippings from the celebrations, and a copy of the American Swedish Monthly magazine devoted to the celebration.
Swedish Pioneer Centennial 1948
Rock Island (Ill.)
The Allan Kastrup Kastrup and American-Swedish News Exchange Collection 1906-1990, SSIRC MSS P:308
Nils William Olsson archival collection
1. Biographical Sketch (copy of a letter addressed to Nils William Olsson)
2. Minutes from the Tri City Area local committee for the Swedish Pioneer Centennial Board, 1946-1950.
3. Corresp. and memos 1948-1949.
4. Itinerary - 1948 Pioneer Celebration and Seating arrangement at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel.
5. Cut-out clippings from various 1948 events.
6. Clippings from various 1948 events
7. Tri-City Chapter newsletter, 1948 and Pioneer Centennial newsletters
8. The American Swedish monthly June 1948. Special issue devoted to the Swedish Pioneer Centennial.
9. Gustav Unonius Memoirs, trs. by Jonas Backlund.