Carl Gustaf Carlfeldt papers, 1917-1950
Size: 2.5 linear feet, 2 boxes (1 oversized)
Acquisition: Transferred from the LCA archives
Access: The collection is open for research
Control Num.: SSIRC MSS P:47
Carl Gustav Carlfeldt was born on April 27, 1893 in Hällefors, Sweden. He came to the United States at the age of 10. Carlfeldt graduated from Augustana College in 1922 and from the Seminary in 1925. He was ordained on June 14, 1925 and served the Immanuel Lutheran Church in Detroit, Michigan between 1925-1928 and the Bethesda Lutheran Church in Chicago between 1928-1938. Carlfeldt received his MA and Ph.D. from University of Chicago in 1931 and 1934. In 1938, he joined the faculty of the Augustana Seminary where he remained until 1954. He also served the board of Swedish Pioneer Centennial Association in 1948. Carlfeldt married Helen Gunnerson on May 20, 1922 in Moline, Illinois.
The material includes correspondence brochures, and pamphlets relating to the Swedish Pioneer Centennial in 1948, the Middle West Tercentenary Festival in Paxton, and the Delaware Tercentenary.
1. Swedish Pioneer Centennial Celebration 1946-1948 - Correspondence, brochures, printed matters
2. Swedish Pioneer Historical Society, Constitution and By-Laws Adopted December 8, 1950
3. Correspondence dealing with the Augustana Chapter of the American Scandinavian Foundation 1944-1945
4. Program material and leaflets. Delaware Tercentenary, 1938 and Swedish Pioneer Centennial 1948
5. Delaware Tercentennial and Swedish Pioneer Centennial - Clippings and fragments 1938-1950
6. Various printed matter re: Swedish Mentality 1941-1945
7. Printed Booklets: Gustav V in Memoriam 1950
8. Articles re: Swedish Pioneer Centennial
9. Swedish Pioneer Centennial Association - Printed report 1948, minutes from executive and Chicago committees 1947-1950