Sustainability at Augustana
As a community, Augustana College is striving towards sustainability through its academic programs and institutional policies. In 2007, the Augustana College Board of Trustees approved a broad and ambitious action plan in an effort to reduce the college's environmental footprint. A central point of this plan was the establishment of the Campus Sustainability Committee, composed of students and members of the faculty and staff.
Sustainability is more than environmental awareness. Making a commitment to sustainability requires responsible and pro-active decision making that considers the environment and natural resources, social equity and justice, and current and future economic forces. Sustainability is participatory and intentional, and every member of the Augustana College community is invited to learn more about policies, programs, and individual choices that are in support of sustainability.
- Global Affect launches Vike Bikes, a free bike checkout system.
- Augustana joins the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)
- Augustana welcomes Michael Reisner, director of the Upper Mississippi River Center (UMRC)
- Winter Symposium Day (Nature and Human Nature) is a success
- Garry Griffith interview on Farm2Fork
- Academic Programs
- Campus Sustainability Committee
- Institutional Policies
- Student Groups
- Upper Mississippi Studies Center
- Local Culture House (2010)-- Augustana's online journal
- Intercollegiate Sustainability Summit (2009)
- Augie Acres (2009)-- a campus garden designed and maintained by students
- Augustana's "1000 points of light" (2008)-- CFL give-away
- MetroLink Partnership (2008)-- free bus passes for members of the Augustana community
- Wesley Acres (2008) -- students work at a local produce farm
- Project Pedal (2008)-- bicycles given to first-year students
- Sustainability Moves Forward at Augustana (2008)-- Blue and Gold make GREEN: summary of achievements and initiatives
- Using the bus (2008)-- information on Metro
- Board-approved Environmental Action Plan (2007)
Questions about Sustainability at Augustana? Email email@example.com.
Do you want to make an anonymous comment or suggestion? Submit it here and your comment will be sent to the Sustainability Committee.